• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype avail for Eris

droidkevlar

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2010
Damn Swype for closing the beta. Here is a link for the lite version that still works.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40128-swype-avail-eris-14.html#post743100

1. Transfer to your Eris via USB
2. Settings -> Application settings -> Check Unknown sources
3. Use a file manager program such as Astro File Manager and go to the location you stored the .apk
4. Install
5. After install go to Settings -> Locale & Text -> Check Swype
6. Open any email/text client and hold down the text box and you will get a popup asking what you want for input. Select Swype. You only have to do this once and it will do it for all your programs.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40128-swype-avail-eris-13.html#post607430

I just emailed the file to myself and opened it on my phone, saved it and installed it, went to locale and text and clicked swype but i cant use it.. any suggestions

Follow the last step I said. You must open a email/texting client and click down and hold in the text area until a box appears and you hit select input method. From there select Swype. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This is a beta that a dev over from XDA tweaked to be allowed for our screen res. The original is only for WVGA, like the Crapo Droid (Motorola Droid) From what I read and saw, Swype will never be charged to the consumer. This is from the same makers as T9 text. This is currently on the Omni device and the only one that I know of right now.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw that after I posted ... once installed is it easy to switch back if we dont like it? Just like uninstalling any other apps?

Correct. But you wouldnt uninstall it from the Market as you didnt install it from the market. You can to application manager in the phone settings to uninstall it, use an uninstall app, or you can just switch back to normal keyboard and keep it there for later use as well.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having it "force close" if you hold down the backspace to erase a line of text?

There are some known issues with this beta release. Also, I forgot to mention, I would enable Disable Audio Warnings as it seems to give errors as well located at Phone settings -> Locale & text -> Swype

Remember, this is a beta.

Upvote 0
There are some known issues with this beta release. Also, I forgot to mention, I would enable Disable Audio Warnings as it seems to give errors as well located at Phone settings -> Locale & text -> Swype

Remember, this is a beta.

Do you know if there is a update to the beta if we will find out through what we downloaded? or Would someone like you need to post another download?

Upvote 0
Do you know if there is a update to the beta if we will find out through what we downloaded? or Would someone like you need to post another download?

Someone else would have to post it. Its not like a Market app where you get notified of an update. Im hoping the "full" version comes out very soon as I've only had it for a day but love love love it. I guess its up to Verizon to offer this to us as the ball is in their court. This is from what I have read but cant verify as my friend that works there has not heard anything.

Upvote 0
Someone else would have to post it. Its not like a Market app where you get notified of an update. Im hoping the "full" version comes out very soon as I've only had it for a day but love love love it. I guess its up to Verizon to offer this to us as the ball is in their court. This is from what I have read but cant verify as my friend that works there has not heard anything.

Alright cool, thanks really appreciate u hookin us up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones