• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype beta just expired

Just so everyone is aware.

The distrbution of Swype except from the developers themselves is illegal.

It is against our policy here at Android Forums to allow posts, links or even mentions of how to obtain applications not intended for public use. This includes paid and free.

Android Forums is a strong supporter of the developer community as well as the legal system and we take things of this nature very seriously.

Upvote 0
I thought Warez were only paid apps?

didn't know it was against the rules to throw around free .apk's :eek:

I do realize they closed the BETA. But c'mon, it's Swype! :D

Actually, Warez is anything other than an app which is open source and/or the author has given permission to freely distribute. Even a great deal of the apps which come with android are considered warez... as anyone who uses or has used a Cyanogen ROM already knows. (CM got a CnD order from google for distributing certain apps with the ROM.)

Since Swype was a beta APK and was closed, the DEVs obviously do not want their work being freely distributed. On top of which, once Swype hits the market as a release version, it will be a paid app.

Upvote 0
I just got my email today. Odd that I didn't get it earlier. Downloaded the newest beta.

Just an FYI, but I never got an email, but for s&g's I logged onto the beta site and the "resend invite" link was active.

So, if you have registered and haven't received an invite, you might want to check. Emails may have gotten lost along the way ;)

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Upvote 0
Just so everyone is aware.

The distrbution of Swype except from the developers themselves is illegal.

It is against our policy here at Android Forums to allow posts, links or even mentions of how to obtain applications not intended for public use. This includes paid and free.

Android Forums is a strong supporter of the developer community as well as the legal system and we take things of this nature very seriously.

Please stop posting links to swype downloads

Upvote 0
Just got an e-mail invitation to the new beta, but when I click the download link I get a message that says I do not have an Android phone. I clicked the link from my computer. Do I have to do it from my phone or is this just a glitch on their part? I need my Swype.:D

Yes, you have to click the link from the phone.

On a side note, official beta testers, please note: thereare a few threads on the swype discussion forums about the new 7625 build not working correctly. One suggestion is to uninstall all old swype apps, reboot, then install the new installer.

What I did was uninstall asl traces of the old one, reboot, install the installer, do not run, reboot again , then finally run the installer.

I now have 7625 working perfectly.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
In anticipation of tomorrow, I'm hoping someone can help. Like many, I had the "found" beta copy expire yesterday/today and so I uninstalled and reverted back to the standard keyboard. I then installed shapewriter to try it, and despite selecting it in settings/ keyboard. It still won't run. I then tried to download a known good version of the newer swype that someone verified worked and couldn't get that to work either, I am still stuck with the default keyboard. Is there some way to delete all traces of Swype so I can do a clean install?

I downloaded a program called "Uninstaller" from Appbrain and used that, I have rebooted numerous times, but still can't run anything but the stock keyboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I read the article too...Forgive me for being a naysayer but why would they have bothered sending a new closed beta version a week before open beta? I dont beleive it...I wont bother, I snagged the version from xda developers (before they got scared and took it all down) with the modded license which Ill keep until the idiots at swype allow people to buy it.... Seriously learn to host in countries that dont care LAWL.

Smart move for the a$swypes sell it to google for a bajillion dollars and rent T-Pain for a boat ride. ;)

Upvote 0
There are long and very specific direction on the Swype beta site on how to uninstall the old and install the new beta.

Some have needed to use the Swype installer to remove old versions before using the same installer to install the new version.

Yes uninstall the app...root explorer--> mount R/W--> search swype--> Delete the one file that comes up...unless you still have the apk... then you might see two files. In any case it doesn't work if your here delete them both.

Upvote 0
I can't help but wonder if this is a hoax. I know it's not even remotely close to being April Fools day, but there is no mention of this on the Swype website and all they have to say about it on their forum is they are thinking about releasing it to the market. Just my thoughts.

Also, i never did get an answer to my question a few posts back (at least I don't think I did). Is a themed version (blue, red, etc) of Swype considered warez? What if we are legal registered users of the regular Swype, is downloading and installing a themed version still considered piracy?

Thanks,
Kratos

I would say if you have an official version.. then you can do what you want with it.
Wether you theme it yourself or have someone else theme it for you.

Upvote 0
I can't help but wonder if this is a hoax. I know it's not even remotely close to being April Fools day, but there is no mention of this on the Swype website

Email from Swype (today):

Swype Beta for Android™ - We've Activated Your Swype Beta Account!

Swype is pleased to invite you to login and try our Swype Beta for Android.

You signed up to be emailed when this happened, and probably gave up on us. Well, we are (finally) pleased to activate your Swype Beta for Android account. Thanks for being patient over the last 3 months as we’ve been focused on improving the product and preparing for our launch with multiple phone manufacturers and carriers.

Update to websire (also today):

Login above and update to the June 2010 Swype Beta release.

and if you are really unsure just search Twitter for "swype"

Upvote 0
Know what? (rant warning! lol)...

I'm just about to get angry enough at the beta/no beta, "selling only to business", "you commoners can't have this awesome app, only registered beta testers who sign up in time and win the lottery" stuff.

SWYPE...IF YOU ARE READING, YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 2500 AND 25,000 PEOPLE ARE STANDING IN LINE WITH MONEY IN THEIR HANDS TO BUY YOUR PRODUCT.

Keep messing with me, and I'll learn to do without you or shapewriter, or any of you who are only out for the biggest bucks you can get. Ok...if that's what you want, well, you just lost my little tiny handful of cash. Or big chunk. I would actually pay a rather large chunk of cash for this app.

One more carrot, one more baited hook, and I'll learn to type again on the rotten standard keyboard.

Get this app on the market, or lose the market.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Rant over.

Ha. Maybe I should go post it over on the Swype forums. Not that it would do any good.

besiderself

Upvote 0
Since there is no way of theming the app without hacking the apk, I would "think" Swype would disagree.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but then again I was also thinking what this person has posted:

I would say if you have an official version.. then you can do what you want with it.
Wether you theme it yourself or have someone else theme it for you.

I wonder if a mod, guide, or admin might have better insight on this (at least from the androidforums.com viewpoint)?

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones