Swype BetaGeneral

Last Updated:

1. smacky

smacky Banned This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    irishpride, Trident, Caddyman and 9 others like this.
  2. K0CAW

K0CAW Well-Known Member

Interesting...I'm waiting for my download link. I'd like to see if it's a different version than the ones floating around at XDA.

3. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

It is different. I downloaded it earlier today. Not alot different, but there are a few changes. Biggest thing is atleast we have an official link instead of having a leaked version.

4. smacky

I dunno, but this is the official one from the creators of Swype. With everyone trying to be pious about a firmware update, I figured we could all enjoy a legitimate copy of Swype instead of the one we've been mysteriously been getting from bufuland.

5. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Just got my invite and downloaded it. It's a much smaller memory footprint since it doesn't have all the languages and the interface is a bit different. Nice to use a legit version.

6. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

swype is definitely an app I would pay for given the chance!

7. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed about the official Android beta is that you can actually simply type out your words without swiping and it seems to be easier to do than on the default keyboard!

I like! Thanks Smacky!!

8. Pocalypse

Pocalypse Active Member

Here's the post I made in the other Swype thread about the beta:

Go to Swype | Text Input for Screens and you can register. It says they have a limited number of participants, but I got a download link immediately after signing up.

I had to uninstall the leaked version, and they actually install an installer on the phone, which requires you to log on and then it downloads swype. Kind of annoying.

The version is 1.25.16.5612.t100, which is newer than the latest leaked version. The only changes I have noticed so far are:

* Option to vibrate on each new word. I quickly disabled this after trying it out.
    * Word choice window has been made nicer and bigger (still the new curvy shape though).

The installer app size is 108k, and the Swype app is 4.36mb (after installation, not sure what the file size is). Included languages are English and Spanish.

Double tapping a word to get the word choice window still does NOT work.

9. BoulderAndroidFan

10. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Very cool, thanks Smacky.
    I feel more pious already. :)

11. BiGMERF

Wow I noticed the size deference just now when you mentioned it. That's a huge conference, awesome

12. BoulderAndroidFan

Too bad Verizon and HTC couldn't approach the 2.1 upgrade zip in the same manor as Swype did as sort of a beta release for a select few--mainly readers of this forum! We're probably still a tiny fraction of the general Eris users out there and provide valuable feedback.

13. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

Nice that is one of the features I was wishing the leaked one had.

14. BoulderAndroidFan

Yeah--the official beta is much easier than the leaked version. The word choices are easier to read in bright blue and the keys "glow" when you type on them individually, making it easier to tell what letter you are hitting. It's an amazing tool that's fun to use.

15. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

The thing I just noticed is that I'm not getting force closes with this version in 2.1 when I try to hold the delete key to erase whole words. Very nice.

16. BiGMERF

Less force closures is always good, speaking off which, I have gotten none

17. chassum

chassum Well-Known Member

Well I just installed Swype beta and I am impressed. I didn't even try the leaked version because I was so skeptical about alternative keypad input in general. (I don't see all that well and have not had much success with such things.) But Swype is very accurate and fast!
    Now someone remind me, will this get wiped when we get the OTA?

18. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

Have any of you that have downloaded the installer for the official beta done so with the leaked 2.1 ROM? It tells me my phone is not an android device when I click through the link.

19. the208

the208 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

20. smacky

No man, running 2.1 and it installed just fine. What browser are you using? If using anything but the stock browser, it MAY give you some issues. Don't use Steel or Dolphin or whatever. Use the stock browser.

21. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

Using the stock browser. I'll try it again, perhaps it was a server error or something.

Edit: Still says this is not an android phone. Interesting. I'll try some other things tomorrow, right now I've been up since 7am yesterday morning and I'm running out of steam. It's possible I'm doing something wrong because of lack of sleep.

22. Scouter

Scouter Member

I am getting this too, I am still on 1.5 :(

23. jpgoggin

jpgoggin Well-Known Member

I had the leaked version and now have the real beta version. I really don't see much difference. I feel better not running bootleg. I'll happy pay for this when a production release is available.

24. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch for the link Smacky...Swype was just unusable for me with the other leaked version but the issues seems to have been fixed enough in this to make it a great keyboard alternative. I've been using it to send texts and love it!

25. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I got the email with the link, but it takes me to swype and says "OOPS we can't figure out where you want to go!" What the heck is that about? I even had them resend me the email and link, same thing. This should be simple, maybe their site is overloaded :confused: