• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype: Can you edit the dictionary easily?

Upvote 0
To clear the 'tapped in' words that can be annoying when they pop up:

Open Settings > Applications > All Applications (or Running Applications) > Swype > Clear Data

Just wanted to make sure that if you follow your above suggestion (which was mentioned in the link quote in my post just before your reply which is How To Delete Swype User Dictionary (for Android) ) you not only "clear the annoying tapped in words" but you clear everything...the Swype words, your Swype settings and preferences!! Bit over-kill to remove the words unless you intend on wiping EVERYTHING.

If you follow the link above, yes, you can wipe EVERYTHING but you can also manually delete the annoying/mistyped words if you follow the instructions to "Delete Typo by Typo"

And if you have one of the more recent beta versions of Swype, you can go Home

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by Life2PointOhh
I've looked for other threads about editing Swype's dictionary but have found none, so will ask here:

So what I learned today was there is a somewhat easdy way to delete a word from your dictionary.

I typed TIO in one text when learning spanish and ever since then every time I swype to it picks tio first. been driving me nuts

then all of a sudden I swyped to again and tio came up so I touched tio, highlighted it and a help tip poped up. i hate when that happens but I actually read it and it said, if you want to delete a created word just highlight the word and hit the swype key on the lower left (S key)

Well did it then it askes are you sure you want to delete TIO, yes.

BAM GONE!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Kapnobatai
I'm happy you got yours resolved, I've actually got the same word giving me problems. I've tried this method a thousand times, but the difference is that mine doesn't give me an option to delete. It gives me an error message saying that "The word "T

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Guys
i hope you don't me piggy-backing on this thread. I love swype for letters but when it comes to numbers, the only way I know of is holding each key down for about a second till it chooses and displays the number and you can go to the next one

I miss being able to simply quickly press a key for a number and the next one. Is there a mode like a shift key I can press and go hit my numbers faster than what I'm doing?

Thanks
I hope you've found your answer by now. but long hold on the ?123 key and it'll give a bunch of alternative numeric entry formats. Including just a basic calc-numpad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones