Swype doesn't work on xtrROM4.0.6.1

Last Updated:

1. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I used to use Swype on xtrROM 3.0.3 and it worked fine. After switching to 4.0.6.1, the swiping action doesn't produce any text but tapping the letters does. I've been all over the Swype forum and see a lot of complaints that Swype has the same problem on Froyo. Any ideas? At least I still was able to find SahpeWriter but it isn't as smooth as Swype was.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I'm using Swype on xtrROM 4.0.6.1 with no problem. When I first loaded the ROM my backup/restore process automatically installed Swype, which would not work correctly. I uninstalled Swype (but not the Swype installer), then ran the Swype installer. Doing that made it work correctly again.

3. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member

I just switched to xtrROM 4.0.6.1 yesterday, when I restored all my apps/setting with Titanium it re-installed Swype to my phone with my settings/dictionary still in tact... swyping still works too (without having to uninstall and reinstall). This must be a hit or miss kind of situation because when I went from Stock root to xtrSense I had to reinstall swype for it to work after the Titanium restore, but going from xtrSense to xtrROM I didn't have to do that.

4. nathanirwin311

nathanirwin311 Well-Known Member

I had this problem too and am using the swype beta. I had to uninstall swype, but first before the uninstall, you need to go into settings and uncheck swype to disable it, then uninstall and reinstall. This worked for me, hope it works for you. Below are the instructions directly from an email from Swype Inc. I didn't remove widgets or uninstall any task managers but I don't use any. Good luck

Additionally, make sure you've completed the basic troubleshooting steps exactly as follows:
    Make sure that Swype is UNCHECKED in Settings -> Language & Keyboard before uninstalling Swype
    Uninstall both Swype and SwypeInstaller from your device
    Close as many widgets from your desktop as possible
    Uninstall any 3rd party task managers
    Download the SwypeInstaller
    Install the SwypeInstaller but DO NOT complete the Swype installation.
    Reboot your device.
    Launch SwypeInstaller and complete the installation.

manderle likes this.
  5. manderle

Definately will give this a try. I did a reboot after installing but not between the installer and app. Thanks

6. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I just read on XDA where one person was able to solve this by killing the Swype process, then go to an input field, long press and select Swype.
    Give that a try, if it works it'll be quick and easy!

7. infamousx

infamousx Member

It works fine for me. Have you tried to reinstall it?

8. manderle

3 times including completely removing both the installer and app.