• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype Force Closed

3py0n

Lurker
Dec 25, 2010
I've been having a lot of problems lately....I've searched all over Google and tried many different versions of Swype but get the same result...it keeps force closing itself whenever I try to use it.

It worked flawlessly before when I first got the phone! I decided to try the new Swype beta and stupid me I didn't backup Swype with Titanium (though I did make a backup with Titanium but not sure how to use it or if it'll solve the Swype problem) and installed the new Swype Beta from the official site but it gave me:

"Sorry!
The application Swype (process com.swype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
dumpstate_app_201012212300_com_swype_android_input method.log has been saved. Use *#9900# to copy out log."

I restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled many times but it's the same outcome
frown.gif
I want my swype back!!! T.T I THINK it comes with Android 2.1? I'm not sure...it was on the phone when I bought it 2nd hand.

Regardless I'm sad
frown.gif
regular keyboard SUCKS comparatively.

Thanks in advance.

Running Android 2.1 unlocked and rooted.

I have tried using Root Explorer AND Super manager to delete that pesky LibSwypeCore.so file but no go :( UGHHH It still reappears! And I have mounted Root Explorer to R/W or w.e. but can't get Super Manager to mount that way...regardless once I delete and reboot, it's STILL there...I really can't stand using SlideIT...

The Captivate comes with Swype. The Swype site explicitly says:

If your phone came pre-installed with Swype DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)
Titanium Backup can delete, but not back up, system apps. This is mentioned numerous times in the TB documentation. So TB couldn't have helped you here.

Your best bet at this point may be to use Odin to restore the original firmware. Note that this will erase all your data. See the Captivate FAQ:

Resetting/Restoring - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
There is no official 2.2 for the Captivate yet. Only hacked-up custom ROMs using code from other phones that sort of work, but have frequent issues. 2.3 "Gingerbread" is even further off. Make your life simple and run official 2.1 for now, until such a point that you're willing to live in the wild west of custom ROMs and accept the considerable risk that comes from playing with them.

All the custom ROMs suggest starting from a clean Odin 1-click reflash to stock anyway, so you're going to do that first one way or another.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones