1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

SWYPE gone forever!?

Last Updated:

1. lindseybee

lindseybee Member This Topic's Starter

I have an Epic but am teetering on the fence as to whether I want to switch to the Evo. I have 3 days to decide before my 30 day "switch" is up.

One thing I would sorely miss is the swype capability. I know the beta ended on the Evo, is there any word as to whether it will become an official download for the Evo? Not sure I can live without it, especially giving up the qwerty keyboard on the Epic...

Also, can Launcher Pro and/or Helix Launcher be downloaded from the market on an Evo?

Thanks so much!

Advertisement
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Beta Swype didn't end for me. They released a new one (I think it was last month) and I've been using that without any issues.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the beta was simply replaced with a new beta but have not heard of when it will officially be available. my best guess is that there is an exclusive agreement on swype...and once that expires you will see it "officially" released.....similar to what just happened/is happening with skype

what else would you miss...because swype wouldn't be something that would keep me from getting such an awesome phone. I can't stand swype :p

4. lindseybee

I wish it were that easy! I like sense UI overall, but there are certain things on TW that I really prefer. The dialer menus, calendar, contacts, and SCREEN (wow it truly is amazing y'all).

Skype is the big thing for me, though.

5. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro is available for the Evo. Not sure about Helix though. I currently have LP+ and love it and have not had any issues with it.

6. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

I have beta Swype on my phone...

7. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Yup. Just like I had mentioned too. I got an email to replace the old Beta version with a new one, so I'm still running Swype without any issues.

8. lindseybee

The beta is closed now though, so any new people signing up can't get the beta. I just signed up for the email to be notified once the beta reopens, but as far as I know there is no word if and when that will be.

9. lindseybee

Ok i went for it! Officially ordered the Evo replacement. A friend told me he has the swype apk file and will help me get it installed so that pushed me over to the evo.

Hopefully they will still reopen the beta soon... Glad to be joining the Evo club, cheers!

10. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

There are other great 3rd party keyboards out there beside swype, you know ;) I use Shapewriter and prefer it over to Swype. You can also try Ultra keyboard, slide it or swiftkey (has great word prediction), there are others but I don't remeber at the moment.

This tread discussed about some of the keyboards: http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/181218-life-post-swype-now-what.html

12. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Shapewriter is a good keyboard if you cannot get Swype working when you get the new Evo.

13. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the move. I have the new swype beta, but I actually moved to the multi-touch keyboard. I got sick of dealing with the swype guesses every four words...

14. lindseybee

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably end up checking each one of those out.

Headed to Sprint right this second to exchange, what a glorious day! I love new technology :)

15. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

+1 on shapewriter! My swype expired recently and I downloaded shapewriter and I absolutely love it! I'm actually much more accurate now than I ever was with swype.

16. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

+1 on shapewriter! My swype expired recently and I downloaded shapewriter and I absolutely love it! I'm actually much more accurate now than I ever was with swype.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

Where are you folks getting Shapewriter from? It's been off the Market for quite a while now.

18. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

That's my question as well. I've not been able to track it down.

19. Renko

Renko Active Member

20. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

If your in the beta now and have the email address to sign into swype then all you have to do is go in and change your phone on the web site. Then they will send you a new beta e-mail and you can install it to the EVO or you could just change the phone on the swype web site and install the APK file from your friend or the old phone.

Swype allows only ONE phone switch while using the Beta.