Swype help

Last Updated:

1. lych

lych Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using Take5 for quite awhile now; however, recently, I decided to flash to the official 1.6 OTA release just out of curiosity. After playing around with it for a little while, I decided to flash back to Take5 (because I missed having root and I really don't like TouchWiz). After flashing back to Take5, I noticed that my baseband was still the new one (T939UVJE2) and I thought to myself, alright I got the new baseband out of this.

Anyways, on to Swype... The official 1.6 OTA release includes a newer version of Swype than Take5. Upon testing it, I found it to work a little better than the one in Take5 (slightly more accurate and a little faster). Could someone please send me the new version of the swype apk that's included in 1.6 OTA release?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. I was able to extract it from the image file directly. For future reference, it is possible to extract apks from the ROMs posted on this forum if you ever need to restore a program.

Advertisement
  2. vertigo4

vertigo4 Member

Actually, do you think you could post this apk or let me know how to extract it? I'd like it too. Thanks!

3. lych

lych Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How about both? ;)

apks are available here. Only swype is needed. The other is included for completeness (its just a tutorial and tips).

To extract apks (or anything else for that matter) from a ROM, here's what you do.

Programs I used
    WinRAR
    7zip

1. First of all, extract the contents of the ROM you downloaded
    2. Among the files extracted, there will be one (or more) that end in .tar.md5
    3. Using WinRAR, open the .tar.md5 file.
    4. Inside, you will find files called something like amss, kernel, and system. (amss contains the phone's baseband, kernel is the kernel, and system is the software).
    5. Extract the file called system with WinRAR.
    6. Using 7zip, open system.
    7. From there, its pretty self explanatory (apps are in the apps directory...)

drizzlyday and vertigo4 like this.
  4. vertigo4

vertigo4 Member

Sweet, thanks!