• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype is da bomb diggity

I really like Swype but I've found the dictionary is full of a lot of trash. With it's method of automatically adding any words that you type out once you hit space, I've found a lot of typos (or captcha entries, one-off abbreviations, last names, whatever) have made their way into my dictionary. And so many of the options are just nonsense like "abjert" or "snet" or something. It annoyed me so much I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled, in the hope that it would at least wipe my custom dictionary, but it didn't seem to help. It's still just as full as of rubbish as before.

I still use Swype all the time, but I really hope they grant us full access to the dictionary so we can clean out what we don't want. And get rid of that pop-up "hidden word!" message! Argh, that thing is irritating.

Upvote 0
Just to throw my 02p worth in. I was fascinated by the mystique of swiye when I couldn't get it. Now I have it on my phone I'm glad I have got.

It's something I switch to every now and then for a bit of variety. and it's pleasant to use for a bit particularly if I am in bed or at a funny angle.

But the thing is, for me you can type on regular touch screen of my wildfire three times faster than I can type with swipe, where my thumb is going backwards and forwards like a windscreen wiper.

I would just advise anyone not to get hung up if they don't have it, it's not quite the world revolution yet.

Upvote 0
Is it in the Market now? (crosses fingers)
There's an easy way to check:
http://beta.swype.com/

how does it compare to swipeit..which I've been using and like alot
Depends on who you ask. Keyboard apps are highly subjective.

I really like Swype but I've found the dictionary is full of a lot of trash. With it's method of automatically adding any words that you type out once you hit space, I've found a lot of typos (or captcha entries, one-off abbreviations, last names, whatever) have made their way into my dictionary. And so many of the options are just nonsense like "abjert" or "snet" or something. It annoyed me so much I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled, in the hope that it would at least wipe my custom dictionary, but it didn't seem to help. It's still just as full as of rubbish as before.
You have to highlight a word and hit the option key to remove it from the dictionary.

Upvote 0
Its been missing allot of words for me as of late, not sure whats going on?
do you mean it doesn t recognise words when you type them wrong?
if so, check your language settings,
I type dutch , and swype didn t recognize my words when typed wrong ,..it then turned out to have the english settings..when turned back to dutch it worked just fine:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I loved Swype up until the last couple updates (Moto Droid, BTW). I'm not sure if anything even changed in the updates, but it seems I'm having to delete every other word because it keeps assuming it knows what word I want without displaying the dialog box for words. Even if I set the word choice window to "always" appear, the setting seems to only hold for the first couple times I use Swype afterwords, then it starts assuming again without prompting me.

Too many times has "yeah" turned into "Utah", "lol" to "lil" and other common words it messes up. It may be my fault for the misspelling, but it should at least prompt me to confirm the word.

You can double tap the word and the box will come up. I totally know what u mean tho about it messing up simple words.

Upvote 0
If I'm understanding this thread correctly, Swype is not available yet for the Droid Incredible? I looked for it in the Market place to no avail. I also looked for SwipeIT and didn't find that either. I've got the Incredible with 2.2

Its not on the market, I just got it yesterday by "other means" its out there waiting for your search. I used Shape-writer for a while before this, but I will say Swype is smoother and more accurate or at least it seems to be to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones