swype, just try it

Last Updated:

1. escalade6103

escalade6103 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It took me a long time to use swype. I was used to the compact qwerty of the htc and storm. But I finally made myself use it for a week and after that week I was practically a pro. It soo much faster. You can one hand it while your walking or riding a bike, if your brave enough to try and not drop it. I couldn't use the full qwerty in portrait because I far fingered it all the time. So if you haven't tried it please do cause you will love it!

Advertisement
  2. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

ya its pretty cool

3. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I like it better in landscape. Fingers still too big for it in portrait. That's my story and i'm sticking to it...
    Plus in portrait I keep hitting that damned microphone right next to the PERIOD.......................!

Typed on a computer :)

4. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

I had a bootleg copy of Swype on my Samsung Omnia, then on my D1 before I got in on the beta group, and now I have it on the DX. I've been happily using Swype for over a year.

5. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member

I tried it and loved it. I happen to be bilingual (English Spanish) and it let's you switch the language to Spanish. Some words are missing but the vast majority are. Very cool...

6. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

I wish they hadn't changed the color of the swype keyboard in 2.2, made it easy to tell the two apart.

7. povery

povery New Member

I stumbled across Swype last night and enabled it. I'm still not really sure how I enabled it, so I'd bet that there are a lot of people out there who don't know either.

Anyhow... I've been using it every chance that I can get today and I love it! Much easier than the hunt and peck method that I've been using!

8. Mr. Meowington

Mr. Meowington Member

I also recommend swift key. It's only 99c for now. It's kinda scary how easily it predicts your next word based on learning you!

9. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

I've tried swype on and off a few times and it just doesn't click with me. I feel it takes longer than the stock keyboard because I have to check each word as it's "swyped" to be sure that it is picking it up correctly.

10. bigtex19

bigtex19 Well-Known Member

i wont lie, i tried swype just now because of this post and although its gonna take some getting used to i do think that it could be alot faster

11. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

+1 for Swiftkey. :cool:

I don't like Swype, my finger gets in the way and I can't see where I'm swiping lol. If I had transparent fingers, then I'm sure I'd like Swype a lot better, but I don't.

12. escalade6103

I agree that your finger gets in the way but once you get used to it you will realize you will remember where the keys are and as long as you get in the vicinity of the letter you want it does the rest. Also it learns really quickly. I haven't tried swift key. I try to pay for as little a possible on here. Yes it is hard at first I won't lie and it tried it several times b4 I finally just made myself learn it. Its not for everyone of course that's why they hav all kind of keyboards out there. But for those who are trying swype because of this post glad I helped but for those who don't like swype hope you find another type you like. I do also recommend ultra keyboard. Its very versatile and customizable, plus it has the compact qwerty for those people who trend to fast finger things. By the way I typed this whole thing with swype!!!

13. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I'm trying the android keyboard after using swype for the last month. I'm sure ill go back to it.

14. Torrid

Torrid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much know where the letters are, so picking up swype has been a breeze...once I got used to it--well, I love it now...

15. ESPforMe

ESPforMe Active Member

I couldn't get used to it. I could go fast but when it got the word wrong it always seemed to be WAY wrong for me. Like how it will have the suggestions, none would ever be close so I'd have to go back and peck the letters. I figure if I have to peck I'll just use the standard keyboard.

16. Montuhotep

Montuhotep Well-Known Member

I love Swype. I just wish Shapewriter keyboard was stl in the market. It was so much better. They got bought out or merged, then disappeared.

17. wysilverado

wysilverado Active Member

Just tried it,its awesome!

18. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Well-Known Member

I really like Swype. It seams like the more I use it, the faster I get with it. I could go back, but I don't want to. Swype is just to good.

19. upe

upe Member

I liked it when using it, but I still prefer regular text entry every once and a while. Is there a way to only have swype on the portrait keyboard, and regular with landscape, without having to make a switch with a long press each time the keyboard pops up?

20. igotgame

igotgame Well-Known Member

I am typing this using swype and I find it way easier than typing on the normal keyboard especially in portrait mode...love it!

21. mwpeck

mwpeck Well-Known Member

I love Swype and plan to continue using it, but every now and then there is one or two words that it just utterly refuses to get right. I have went as far as re-typing a single word 3-4 times, getting frustrated, then simply keying it in like normal. It doesn't seem to be any specific word, its somewhat random, but I end up spending more time trying to swype that one word in than it would have taken to write the entire message by typing it in.

22. spb21

spb21 Well-Known Member

Same here. I really like it 99% of the time. Then the other 1% when it does this, it grates my nerves. The problem is that about half of the missed words will correct on the second attempt, so you have to try again before pecking it out. When it still doesn't get it...:confused:

23. nynvolt

nynvolt Well-Known Member

Since that commercial where the guy was swyping I've wanted to try it out. I assumed it would be too tough for me to get it. Now I get annoyed when I pick up my ipod touch and have to peck each letter. It rocks and may be my new "must have" feature on my next phone. It's so much easier than it look's or seem's. I can do simple txts one handed even as big as the x is. The regular keyboard is nice but I'm slower and it's not as entertaining as swype.

24. Pushwall

Pushwall Well-Known Member

I was using Swype but had major problems with it in Portrait mode. I tried using Ultra Keyboard over the weekend (with Tracing mode enabled) and now am using it instead of Swype. Portrait mode keyboarding is so much easier IMO.

25. escalade6103

for those having swype learn certain words. there is a program that helps it learn called "sms to swype". it takes words that you type when not using swype into the swype dictionary. so when you cant get swype to learn a word switch keyboards, type your word, and send the text. when you get done run the "sms to swype" and it will save it and next time you can use swype to do it. i have done that a few times but i rarely ever have to use it. most of the time i only use it when im trying to get it to learn an abbreviated word it dont understand.