Swype official beta

Last Updated:

1. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator This Topic's Starter

This has been posted elsewhere in the forum but I know there was some interest in Swype here a few months ago when it was leaked.

Swype is being offered (legally this time :p) as a limited beta, so got over there and register quick!

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Good news is that, unlike the unofficial version floating round, this will work with 2.1 :)

(Spanish and English US only atm unfortunately).

Advertisement
    kingvortex likes this.
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Great news! This can only be due to pressure from the Android community, as at the start of this week Swype were still sticking to their "OEM agreement only" business model and insisting that there would be no retail availability for the app.

3. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

They probably figured that the leaked version was out there, so might as well give it to them

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I think it's more that they suddenly realised how much potential revenue they stood to lose if they ignored the wider Android market. ;)

5. bilkay

bilkay Member

I tried ShapeWriter and didn't like it. Then I tried SlideIt and I like that one. I've been playing with swype for a little bit and it might be better than SlideIt.

I really don't like trying to tap out text with the regular touch keyboard. I moved from a Blackberry to the Hero and was concerned about the keyboard change. It was easy to use both thumbs on the Blackberry's keyboard. Can't do it at all with the Hero keyboard- index finger only. Swype or SlideIt might work out well with a little practice using the old index finger. I'm already adjusting to the fingers-getting-in-the-way-of-the-letters thing.

6. BiGMERF

Did you pay for slide it or use the demo? I had the demo and liked it. But got annoyed buy the pop ups asking me to but the paid version. Thus the switch to swype, must say I like it.

7. Xyro

Yeah I dont really like shapewriter, I think it's got a pretty poor layout when it comes to typing punctuation.

I'm really glad they've changed their minds too :) Let's face it, people probably would've taken the OEM version and ported it to other phones anyway (like you can install the hero's keyboard on other phones). So they may as well put it on the market and charge for it :p

8. BiGMERF

How much do you think the eventual price usa gonna be? Il be pissed if I have to pay alt for or and it came free on the mytouch

9. bilkay

bilkay Member

I used the free version of SlideIt. I struggled with both SlideIt and ShapeWriter. Swype is very fast for me. I was not digging the stock keyboard at all until I started using Swype. I thought I typed pretty fast using two thumbs on my Blackberry but I think Swype may prove to be even faster with some more practice.

10. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Just installed the official Beta... think its going to be a cant live without option on my Hero!!

11. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up! I've had 10 minutes with it and I'm already twice as fast inputting text!

12. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

For me this is the best "slide-input" keyboard I've tried. I wasn't keen on shape writer, but slideit was pretty good. Swype beats them both.

13. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Oh yes ten out of ten, makes typing a pleasure.
    What happens when 2.1 comes out do we loose it?

14. drbgotenks

drbgotenks Active Member

Is there a way to have swype while in portrait and the stock keyboard in landscape?

Thanks!

15. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

I've been using Better Keyboard for a while but this wipes the floor with it, or should that be Swypes the floor:eek:

Thanks for the heads up.
    Cheers Al

16. Xyro

You can reinstall it on 2.1 again :)

andy d likes this.
  17. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Cheers. :)

18. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Thank. Trying it now.

19. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member

does the beta still work now? if not is there any way of getting swype onto our phones?

20. jimjim

jimjim Member

Damn, the beta is closed now? I've been wanting to try this for a while now.

21. Xyro

@jimjim It seems to be closed at the moment yes.

But they have temporarily reopened in the past and taken more people. You'll just have to keep an eye out for it :)

@shadders139 The beta is still running, it's just not accepting new testers. So there are no (legal) ways to get swype until it opens again.

shadders139 likes this.
  22. JohnHwessel

JohnHwessel Active Member

The Sunday Times was recommending this today as a must have for Android. Seems a bit stupid that's it not available for download.

23. Xyro

Yeah. There are plenty of people out there ready to give Swype their money :p

At one point they didn't even seem to want to go down the market route. They wanted to only focus on OEM releases.

24. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, if you are spelling a word with a double letter ( ie: letter ) how do you get it to do the double 't' ?

25. Xyro

Draw a loop over that letter before you carry onto the next one.

If you hit the swype key there's a video to show you all the tricks.

Also, if you go to a letter, then go above the keyboard before going to the next letter, the first letter will be capitalised. If you do a loop whilst above the keyboard, the whole word is capitalised.