• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SWYPE on the EVO?

I got the update this morning and after installing started getting many Swype force close messages. Went into applications and deleted Swype and the installer. Then I had no Swype keyboard listed.

Rebooted the phone and Swype is now available. Version 2.7.49.12469. Has the voice input button which the last beta had.

The latest beta push of Swype fixed the constant "Tooltip Popup" box that was extremely annoying. Does version 2.7.49.12469 bring those issues back?

Upvote 0
I got the update this morning and after installing started getting many Swype force close messages. Went into applications and deleted Swype and the installer. Then I had no Swype keyboard listed.

Rebooted the phone and Swype is now available. Version 2.7.49.12469. Has the voice input button which the last beta had.

Thanks. This was the last step that i needed to do.

Upvote 0
I had a version of Swype too, but I didn't clear the data, I just said Uninstall -- how do I clear the data now? Do I have to re-install it, then clear/uninstall again?

not sure what you mean by clearing your data. I just did my OTA update and was having the force close issue with swype. i went into my phone settings/manage applications then uninstalled both the swype application and the swype installer. after i did that i powered off my phone the turn it back on. once it was on i went to my text messaging and long pressed into the text field then selected the swype input method. hope that helps

Reactions: amabyam
Upvote 0
After waiting with my new Evo for about a month until I could finally join the Swype Beta the email finally came. It took some time but I finally got it installed, and I loved using it. Definitely better that Slide It, still not as competitive as Swift which I actually bought. After updating my HTC software over the weekend my Swype stopped working. I understand that the update brought Swype along with it, but since I still had my own beta version there was some conflict and now I have neither. :(
Any Ideas?

Upvote 0
After waiting with my new Evo for about a month until I could finally join the Swype Beta the email finally came. It took some time but I finally got it installed, and I loved using it. Definitely better that Slide It, still not as competitive as Swift which I actually bought. After updating my HTC software over the weekend my Swype stopped working. I understand that the update brought Swype along with it, but since I still had my own beta version there was some conflict and now I have neither. :(
Any Ideas?

Go to manage applications, go to Swype installer and clear data and cache, then uninstall. Then do the same for Swype, clear data and cache, then uninstall. Then reboot phone

Reactions: amabyam
Upvote 0
Anyone else find this version of Swype AWFUL? Swype had a bad verson that came out a couple months ago where it would always suggest ridiculous words, then they fixed it with an update that made a much better Swype, and I was using that latest update. Now I installed this patch and it's back to the crappy version they had a couple months ago -- it's not the most recent update.

How can I get the good (more recent) version back?

Upvote 0
Beta tester and have Swype 2.15.56.14870.t100

Swype doesn't Swype in messaging app. I can only type the letters. Swype works everywhere else on the phone. I have Fresh rom.

Thinking about clearing data but can't get to that in Swype installer. Thoughts? Should I use beta version of Swype from Swype directly or download the current apk HTC is using (if I can find it)?

Upvote 0
Is there any way to get rid of Sprint's latest update that included Swype in favor of the Swype beta I had before? The beta was a much better version. The version in this update often suggests ridiculous made up words and that box with (terrible) suggestions comes up way too often, it's really annoying. How can I get rid of it?

Upvote 0
Is there any way to get rid of Sprint's latest update that included Swype in favor of the Swype beta I had before? The beta was a much better version. The version in this update often suggests ridiculous made up words and that box with (terrible) suggestions comes up way too often, it's really annoying. How can I get rid of it?
The latest update came WITH swype?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones