• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SWYPE on the EVO?

So.... No one knows if I can go back to the public beta's version of Swype? Is there any way possible? This is driving me nuts. :(

here is a suggestion...

You must be Rooted
find an older version ROM that does not have the update included.
Wipe everything... (you will loose all your data; do what you need in order to get your information back)
Flash old ROM
Flash anything else you want
install the old Public swype beta.

DO not upgrade again...

But that would really put you in a very bad position.. because you would be stuck in the old ROM...

I suggest you get over it.. deal with the new swype!

Upvote 0
here is a suggestion...

You must be Rooted
find an older version ROM that does not have the update included.
Wipe everything... (you will loose all your data; do what you need in order to get your information back)
Flash old ROM
Flash anything else you want
install the old Public swype beta.

DO not upgrade again...

But that would really put you in a very bad position.. because you would be stuck in the old ROM...

Or, once rooted, do a Titanium Backup of the public beta, then update, delete the new Swype and re-install the public beta.

That all said - SwypeInc turning to the Evo and broadening their coverage means that they're paying attention to the broader market out here.

What that _could_ mean is that updates could be upcoming from Swype with HTC's cooperation to rapidly - and finally - move us out the "which beta is better" nonsense and into a fully-supported release.

I just have to note - this is long time for a beta if your name's not Google. ;)

Well - we can hope, right?

Upvote 0

The problem with the "new" Swype is its an OLD Swype. The public beta is a newer version of it. The version on the Evo came out a few months ago but had a lot of problems and complaints, then they released an update that fixed those problems about a month later, but the Evo's update brought back the bad version from a few months ago, and we're stuck with it. I want the newer and improved version of Swype instead of the outdated one. The Evo's latest update was a step back in version of Swype for those of us who kept our Swype updated.

Reactions: fofy21
Upvote 0
The problem with the "new" Swype is its an OLD Swype. The public beta is a newer version of it. The version on the Evo came out a few months ago but had a lot of problems and complaints, then they released an update that fixed those problems about a month later, but the Evo's update brought back the bad version from a few months ago, and we're stuck with it. I want the newer and improved version of Swype instead of the outdated one. The Evo's latest update was a step back in version of Swype for those of us who kept our Swype updated.

This is my first use of swype and I love it. What can the newer version have that you don't have on this one? I think swype should come on all touchscreen phones. I am just glad we have swype on our phone.

Upvote 0
This is my first use of swype and I love it. What can the newer version have that you don't have on this one? I think swype should come on all touchscreen phones. I am just glad we have swype on our phone.

It's not what it has that makes the difference, it's the word recognition of this version is messed up. It too often suggests ridiculous words that are nothing like the word I was trying to say. It's inaccurate that way. It also has a lot of made up words in the dictionary that it won't let me delete. For instance, often when I type "the," the suggestion box comes up (which is extremely annoying to have this box pop up when I'm trying to type) and the first suggestion isn't "the" but "thet." I don't ever remember using the word thet so I don't know why it's in my dictionary, but pretend I did use the word once, I should be able to delete it. This version of Swype, for whatever reason, won't allow me to delete it, and "thet" is also always the first suggeston over "the," which seems stupid. The newer version of Swype fixed these problems.

If you're new to Swype, you may not get as annoyed by these problems, but I've had Swype since I got my phone in June. I loved it, then they introduced these problems with an update that annoyed me, then they fixed these problems with another update a month later, but the Evo released the bug filled version of Swype. So it's a step back for me, and these bugs really slow down my typing. I get sick of the suggestion box coming up with horrible suggestions whenever I type stuff, it really slows down my typing.

Upvote 0
I've been using shape writer since the beta I had installed no longer worked and really got used to and loved it.

Didn't realize that the OTA update included Swype. I got a message from the Swype folks that they reopened the beta and was about to install it when I found this thread. Haven't been on the forum for a while :)

I just used the talk function for the first time and man is that cool! It seems to be very accurate - unlike the voicemail transcription garbage that they tried to get us to pay for. That was horrible! Some of the transcripts made NO sense whatsoever!

I'm anxious to see if I'll use this all the time or use shapewriter for manual entry and swype for voice entry

Upvote 0
It's not what it has that makes the difference, it's the word recognition of this version is messed up. It too often suggests ridiculous words that are nothing like the word I was trying to say. It's inaccurate that way. It also has a lot of made up words in the dictionary that it won't let me delete. For instance, often when I type "the," the suggestion box comes up (which is extremely annoying to have this box pop up when I'm trying to type) and the first suggestion isn't "the" but "thet." I don't ever remember using the word thet so I don't know why it's in my dictionary, but pretend I did use the word once, I should be able to delete it. This version of Swype, for whatever reason, won't allow me to delete it, and "thet" is also always the first suggeston over "the," which seems stupid. The newer version of Swype fixed these problems.

If you're new to Swype, you may not get as annoyed by these problems, but I've had Swype since I got my phone in June. I loved it, then they introduced these problems with an update that annoyed me, then they fixed these problems with another update a month later, but the Evo released the bug filled version of Swype. So it's a step back for me, and these bugs really slow down my typing. I get sick of the suggestion box coming up with horrible suggestions whenever I type stuff, it really slows down my typing.

Guess I don't have those problems with my version. The word box comes up a lot but usually has the word I was going for in the first place.

Upvote 0
I'm so happy EVO got the official version of Swype because I was mad that my friends with an EPIC and DROIDX came with it and EVO had been left out and I had to Beta version it. Glad the people at SWYPE heard our complaints on their site. I really am hooked on swype since I've never been good at typing on tiny keyboards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones