Swype on X10General

Last Updated:

1. Brunswick

Brunswick Active Member This Topic's Starter

Was reading on XDA that some are using swype on there X10. Any one here using it with success? Id really like to give it a try when I get my phone (hopefully Monday). Many are stating a problem with landscape mode. Just wondering if users here are having the same issues.

Advertisement
  2. Mxtc

Mxtc Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing. I can't find Swype in the Android Market. There seems to also be a few more apps missing from my G1 days like Bejewelled.

3. Android noob

Android noob Well-Known Member

You can't find it because it hasn't been officially released yet, there is only a beta, thats the only way to get it officially right now, but you could also find download for it, just search in google "your phone" swype download, or apk.

Mxtc likes this.
  4. Mxtc

Mxtc Well-Known Member

Tried the app "Slide it lite", similar to swype, its in the app store, and it seems to work pretty good.

5. wrtau23

wrtau23 New Member

I have Swype installed on my X10 and love it. Found the beta release after googling swype apk as suggested above.

6. j0j0

j0j0 New Member

I found swype on google and can confirm that it works on the x10. Its a nifty little app, but I think I still prefer using a normal keyboard.

7. saltorio

saltorio Well-Known Member

Same here. It seems to have trouble with any words not in the dictionary, and despite swyping specific letters (such as my initials "SSA") the options it gives me to choose from never include the letters I've typed.

I'm enjoying the HTC keyboard. For anyone looking for it for your X10, here's some instructions on how to install it:

Installing the HTC keyboard on the Xperia X10 | Xperia X10 Blog

8. oct_7

oct_7 Member

Personally, I love swype a lot. Well, as long as you are using the correct english spelling. Just one feature that I miss, the button to move the cursor. Also, it works in landscape mode. However, I have never tried the HTC keyboard though, so I can't compare between the two. Regards,

9. artyve

artyve Member

I also have swype on my x10 and really enjoy it. I've only had the phone for a day and first time playing with swype. I find it very intuitive for most words in the English dictionary.

As oct_7 mentioned, I also miss the buttons that allow cursor movement. But the speed of using swype by far outweigh this ommission.

10. oct_7

oct_7 Member

Hi artyve,

I found out how to use the pointer. You can swype the Swype key and SYM key. Man, I found another nice surprise there. If you have not watched the tutorials (tips and tricks) on their website, I suggest you to watch it. Nice tricks. hehehe. Made me fall in love further with Swype. :)

Enjoy swyping. :)

11. artyve

artyve Member

Thanks oct_7! I played around with it (swiping from the swype key to the SYM key) and the cursor movement features and cut/copy/paste options really useful. Also, I just learned how to add words to swype's dictionary. Totally nerded out there.

12. CherylAbbott

CherylAbbott New Member

i downloaded swype, but ATT is blocking the app, what do i do?

13. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

AT&T have decided its not in your best interests to have apps that aren't from the Android Market. You could try Sideload Wonder Machine on your PC but it is very quirky to get it running.

14. Joefloater

Joefloater Active Member

If you are going to Google and download Swype make sure you get the correct resolution for our phone. I think that the latest version with the correct res is 2.10.52.13753 WVGA854. :D I am lucky enough to be in on the beta but I just downloaded this for my wife and it is working.

15. spikeithard

spikeithard Well-Known Member

i cant find the Dl when i searched 'xperia x10 swype apk' in google.
    any help with link please?

16. Joefloater

Joefloater Active Member

Just copy and and paste this 2.10.52.13753 WVGA854 into google search window and it comes up with links.

spikeithard likes this.
  17. spikeithard

swype is amazing... just amazing. im still getting used to it but so far so good. watched all the tutorials. amazing how fast you can go with it.

but question is. in the settings for swype, is it better to have the 'speed vs. accuracy' bar closer to fast reponse or error tolerance? im confused on that.

18. clairesmama

clairesmama New Member

I JUST searched "swype for Android beta" on google.....led me here......Swype | Text Input for Screens
    Just sign up for the beta and they will send you an email with the download specifically for your phone and all instructions.....works awesome!!!!!

19. spikeithard

whats funny about swype is.. sometime when im just jammin away at a long word i get lost in where the next letter is on my screen because my hand/finger is in the way of seeing it lol.. messes my whole word up. been a few hours and im still trying to get faster and get used to it. anyone here been using it for a while? .. is it easier day by day? like i mean does it get faster each day that you use it?

20. f891roy

f891roy Well-Known Member

im using the beta from it was released. Personally i think it is a great app. Granted abit hard to get use to at the start, but after that you will find its pretty cool anf fast to use.

21. spikeithard

im having a hard time with the numbers and words that are seperate but used to putting together like everytime lol

22. huntleth

huntleth Well-Known Member

Just type them in manually once and it will recognise them in 'swype' mode after that :)

I like swype but it has its bugs. The most annoying feature of it is when you swype a word you added to the dictionary but then choose a different word in the word choice window, it ALWAYS pops up with the tutorial on how to delete words but I don't want to see it every time. Very annoying. I've not bothered reinstalling swype since my trial ran out.

23. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

I used swype but i did not liked it. Instead i use Slide-it, works flawlessly...when i write in english. As for now, HTC IME is my default keyboard but if i need quick texting, like when i chat or writing off notes, i use Slide-it

24. musicalmidget

musicalmidget New Member

Just downloaded slide it and if it's anything like swype then it's awesome. I can't download swype cause ATT won't let me but I love the app I have. it's great. I need to get used to it though.

25. spikeithard

i love and also hate swype. I love it for long words like appreciate and superficial. but cant stand it for words like or and at and to.... always guesses wrong.

So in the end it may be just as fast as using regular touch keypad but heck, its fun so I'll keep using swype haha