Swype/Shapewriter vs. NormalSupport

Last Updated:

1. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

One thing I have noticed with either swype or shapewriter, is that they suck with normal use. By this, I mean tap-to-tap use.Like this, by this I mean tapping, they lag like no other. However, they're second to none when it comes to how they work, which is by sliding tor finger across to spell everything out. This is how my experience had been with them so far, Im kind of wondering how everyone else's experience has been so far with either one. I have a feeling that because of theway these keyboards work, they cant be proficient in both ways, tapping and sliding. I tried swype on that one phone verizon has that's built in with it, and it seemed to lag just as badly with tap input as my Moment does. I realize that the keyboards are still 'beta', but to have it lagging on a phone where this is its only option as input, I feel that it should be somewhat better all around.

What is your stance on this?

Also, do feel free to PM me if you wish to try this and see for yourself. No Im not advertising or trying to hawk software, Im trying to see if Im not only one experiencing this.

Keep in mind, I still love it, and Ive typed ALL of this from my phone, using swype. It just gets annoying having to switch keyboards to fill in forms, then back to it to start typing. An example would be logging in here, then typing all this out.

Advertisement
  2. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

I've had nothing but success with Shapewrite beta. No lag at all. It might just be some app hogging up your resources?

3. Thefoodman52

The only thing I have running in the background at any time is GDE and my digital clock widget. Just checked, I have 24mb of free memory, I dont really use a task killer for much more than to check memory count when my phone starts getting slow.

4. maxinspace

maxinspace Active Member

while i will admit tapping in any way and using shapewriter in landscape mode is a pain in the... well, you know what i mean, i've had zero lag when using it. it's way better than any normal on-screen keyboard and for quick text replys it's great.

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i run shapewriter and have no issues at all. i mean i may type a letter by mistake but thats it

6. Thefoodman52

Mainly what Im trying to ask is if anyone else has lag using one of these keyboard alternatives for 'tap' typing, not so much the 'normal' way of using them.

7. BiGMERF

do you only have lag with the keyboard? or is there genral lag going on with your phone?

if it is general lag , try this

Android tips

8. Renko

Renko Active Member

You should better try SlideIT keyboard which is much more accurate in the sliding mode. and it's working great in the tapping mode.

I think SlideIT is the best keyboard around. and it's officially on the Market.

The speed must be a personal taste, cause IMO its blazing fast. I can Slide faster on this keyboard than on the hardware keyboard of the TP2 I owned before the Galaxy.

9. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

I don't understand these applications. I tried Shapewriter but there's no way I can slide my fingers across the keyboard and accurately hit the keys I want when my finger is covering the keys I'm aiming for. I must be missing something.

10. BiGMERF

it is very simple. have you really tried it? it wont register the keys you slide over

11. AlkiDweller

I understand that, but when I'm sliding my finger across the keyboard my finger starts to cover the key I'm aiming for three keys before I get there. I never managed to spell one word that didn't need to be corrected.

12. BiGMERF

im sorry you have that issue... i do spell some things wrong from time to time but it gives me suggestions to fix it. but the eerrors rae few and far inbetween

13. AlkiDweller

14. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

lmao i thought the same thing^^^^^^ :D

15. BiGMERF

i did do that on purpose ...... or did i

16. Thefoodman52

I find it kind of funny that the Moment forum gets quite a few posts from Driod and Nexus 1 users, and Hero users to boot. I think I've seen a few G1 users as well... are we the melting pot of the forums? lol