Swype style keyboard for tablet?

1. PacificaBren

PacificaBren Well-Known Member

I've been setting up the Zenithink C71 Upgrade tablet I bought my mom for Christmas, and I was bummed to realize that, unlike my Samsung Galaxy S2, this tablet's keyboard does not give users the ability to spell words by swiping through the letters.

Swype is such a neat feature! Is there a third party keyboard I can download from the Play Store that would include this functionality?

And if so, how does that work? Is they third party keyboard just automatically there whenever you click inside a text entry field, or do you have to launch it like a separate app? Do you have the ability to toggle back and forth between the stock keyboard and the new one?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

There's Swype: Swype | Type Fast, Swype Faster

Also, there's a SwiftKey beta running at the moment which has the swype feature, it's called SwiftKey Flow. When it's out of beta, the play version of the app should have the swype feature built in and ready to go.
    PacificaBren likes this.
  3. PacificaBren

Hey, thanks! I guess I'd assumed actual Swype was a proprietary Samsung thing. It's nice to know the beta can be installed on other devices.
  4. El Presidente

NPs :)

I have a love/hate relationship with it, I change between that and SwiftKey regularly. It's pretty clever and handy for one handed typing, I'm just rubbish at it.
  5. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

I'm using TSwipe Pro - does all of the above and then some incl. suggested fill in of web sites, words. Multi language. Many many layouts Nav, Symbol, Editing and colours, webkey by connecting to PC keyboard. The feature I use a lot toggle words b/w all upper, lower or Proper case.
  6. PacificaBren

Should I be concerned about the warnings on the Swype site about Swype being in beta and likely to do unexpected things? My mother's very tech-phobic, so I want to make her experience as simple and trouble free as possible.
  7. El Presidente

Nah, Swype's been in beta for ages but it functions with no issues so you should be fine :)
  8. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Like ElP said it has actually been in beta quite awhile and I had it for about 6 months and was really good. The only issue I had was lag on start up so one swiftkey flow was announced I switched to that and love it. I think it uses more battery but they'll fix that in an update
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Swype has been in beta for like 4 years now actually.