• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SWYPE] Swype is now FREE for Android!

jsuh

Apr 30, 2010
Woohoo! I wanted to make an announcement that although Swype is still in beta, it is now available for Free for Android owners (that meet requirements) and are accepting new beta signups!

Got the following update from the official Swype website:
Swype is pleased to offer an (updated) Android Beta!
Here are the details:

* In English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, and introducing French and an early, *UNSTABLE* preview release of Chinese Pinyin
* Now includes support for Double-Tap-to-Edit, Cursor Restore, and Voice-to-Text (requires Google Voice Search be included in your system firmware)
* HVGA, WVGA, and WVGA854 Resolutions - don't worry we'll detect this automatically. Sorry, no QVGA
* Limited End User Support - mostly via our forum
* If your phone came pre-installed with Swype
DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)
I have an in-depth writeup of Swype at http://jonsuh.com/2010/11/swype-never-tap-to-type-on-your-phone-again/

You must still register at http://beta.swype.com/ to receive the link for the download.

My wife and I both have HTC Evos. She was in the menus deleting some words from the user dictionary and noticed she automatically had Swype, we assumed it was from some recent update she did. A coworker of hers had to go to a sprint store to get the update to give him Swype. I cannot find Swype anywhere on my phone and it looks like I have all available updates.

What do I need to do to get Swype on my phone? I appreciate any help!

Upvote 0
My wife and I both have HTC Evos. She was in the menus deleting some words from the user dictionary and noticed she automatically had Swype, we assumed it was from some recent update she did. A coworker of hers had to go to a sprint store to get the update to give him Swype. I cannot find Swype anywhere on my phone and it looks like I have all available updates.

What do I need to do to get Swype on my phone? I appreciate any help!

Check your input options/applications and make sure it'snot there.

Are you up-to-date on your device updates? One quick way is to see if you have Blockbuster.

Check Settings --> System Updates.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the fast response. I ended up doing it through the link for the beta, is it just the same as she has on her phone? I just had to do extra steps?

Are you up-to-date on your device updates? One quick way is to see if you have Blockbuster.

What is Blockbuster?

Check Settings --> System Updates.
Yeah I did that a little earlier and everything was up to date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones