• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype "Tips" Hidden word Pop up makes me MAD

I thought there was a thread in the Evo section that outlined how to overcome the embedded Swype and install your beta without rooting????....

I'll have to double-check - I could be way wrong on that one.

Wasn't aware of, but by no means do I know everything that goes on here. I'm constantly surprised by new things here when I roam around in threads I normally don't look through.

I'll see if I can find anything here or on xda.

Edit: Every method I've found requires root or at least temp root to remove the three files that make up the stock swype which are /system/app/swype.apk, /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod, and /system/lib/libswypecore.so

If there's a way to pull /system and /data files from a phone through ADB without root that I don't know about, here's the path's to the files you need to pull.

Also I should note that I've come across people having issues with OTA/OTW firmware after replacing the stock swype, so hang onto the three files you pull just in case.

Upvote 0
This is depressing that I would have to root the phone. Actually unacceptable because I am not going through all that. Maybe one day I will crack and do it because I know the phone works better in terms of battery life as well. If rooting is "knowing how to use your phone", that is simply laughable .I just believe that the phone should work better out of the box without having to resort to rooting. That being said, I went through a lot of those threads, and will again, but the main issue I have found is I have to use 4G now with my sprint evo, and 4g seems to like to drain battery big time.

EarlyMon, I could not find a link on the EVO forum talking about it either. If you do, please let me know.

For now I will do what LeftcoastDJ does, which is go back to the old keyboard. I simply can't take it anymore, it drives me insane trying to text people or write emails.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Update. I have made peace with the old keyboard. It is simply better, and the voice to text is also far better which does no make much sense, but it definitely is. I will stay stock and abandon swype for good. It was a nice run, but the stock keyboard is excellent. Will the new 2.3 come with a new keyboard that is even better?

Upvote 0
I have an LG phone with Swype pre-installed. I have played with the settings, but it still annoys the hell out of me. (is there a mobile version of this websites?) Anyway, I too wish I could turn off the "Tips" pop-up, which as I hope everyone is now aware is different from the word choice pop-up. I also hate how it adds words to the dictionary. For example, if I look up the meaning of a dish on a thai menu, say "Fo tueay", those words will forever pop-up until I go into settings, applications, swype, delete cache; which I do about every week or two. Wow this text box is also really annoying. I do this because I can never figure out how to delete certain words, like "w". I can never type "we" because "w" is a word that can't be erased. And, when I have to type in a correction because the word I wanted wasn't in the list of choices, it always ad ds an extra space before the correction.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
What worked for me (LG phone running 2.2):

When you get the hidden word popup, note which word it mentions in the popup. Chances are it's some kind of mistyped word that made it into your custom dictionary.
To delete the word, type it, then select it by double-tapping, and hit the Swype key (lower left, the hand with the squiggle and "i" above it). If it's indeed a custom dictionary entry, a popup will ask you "Do you want to delete the word from the Swype dictionary?". Hit OK and enjoy not being bothered by it again.

The thing is, as soon as you type a word that isn't in the Swype dictionary, it will automatically add it. So make sure to nip this in the bud and use Swype as much as possible to avoid adding mistyped words.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones