swype to type

Last Updated:

1. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

just trying out this cool new keyboard.seems to be faster than tapping when you get used to it. give it a whirl...

** LINK REMOVED **

i posted it here because it is only on the droid right now.

** MOD EDIT ** Please don't post links to illegal applications. The swype keyboard is not freeware.

Advertisement
  2. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

already been posted under the application section thanx though

3. Blank 26x

Blank 26x Member

I think there's been a couple of topics about this before, but I've given it a shot and I think it's a pretty cool keyboard.

It's pretty useful when I just wanna type something short or I'm at a red light and I wanna do a quick text to someone lol.

4. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

I downloaded and installed it. One issue tho: when I enable swype it gives me a disclaimer saying ALL my text strokes will be recorded including my personal and credit card data?!?!?! ISNT THIS SOME KIND OF HUUUUUGE PRIVACY BREACH??

5. CatsTide

only if you have a high credit limit on your cards

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

@CatsTide - Are you late to EVERY party, or what? :p

@superdesi - It's not called "swype" for nuthin'! :eek:

7. jimbo78255

jimbo78255 Active Member

I have been using it for about 3 days and enjoy it, [but I only use 'your' credit card number on it] - does make me wish there were arrow keys and better edit shortcuts on the device, though.

8. CatsTide

sometimes late...mostly uninvited...

9. superdesi

soooo...ive been using this program since my last post and needless to say......I LOVE IT! ITS SO AWESOME! but.....im a little worried about saving my keystrokes? do my keystroke logs get uploaded to some dude sitting in prague who can then use my credit card at hostels????

10. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

Just switch back to the android keyboard for entering account numbers, user names, passwords etc. Switching between them is fast and easy. Plus, if it records it it must be stored locally, the app has no internet connection permissions so it can't transmit our keystrokes to anyone. But just in case of hidden malicious permissions, switch keyboards for sensitive info.

11. superdesi

switching between them is easy? How do you do that? I have to go into settings then language and keybaords then yadda yadda yadda its a long process but if you have some magical polar bear telling u secrets on how to switch from android to swype real quick i would like to know! :D

12. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

Leave both keyboards enabled in settings. To switch between them, just long press in any text input field and tap input method and switch keyboards ;)

13. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

14. Legacystar

when you install the program i don't think it says it has access to network. so even if it was logging keystrokes (which btw is so it can learn ) it would have no way to upload them.

15. Silverwing

Silverwing Well-Known Member

The warning said the program MAY record your keystrokes, not that it does. It does not have access to the phones network abilities so it is unlikely that it can upload your personal data.

With that said, it is not a breach of your privacy because you agree to use it, despite the warning. You are not asked or coerced in any way to use it, in other words: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. :)

16. superdesi

So it wouldnt hurt to use swype for credit card and personal info? But besides uploading, if someone saw I had swype on my phone, couldnt they then find the keystroke log file and see exactly what ive been typing? Anyone know where this keystroke log file is located?

17. Legacystar

no idea where the log file is located if it even has one. part of me thinks this is BS cause if it logged every keystroke after a while that file would start getting really large.

but as far as credit card info you should be fine. if you want to check the programs permissions go into seeting/applications and click on swype and at the bottem it states what access the application has. all that is listed for swype is personal information. this it would need to predict for instance how someones name in your phone book is spelled and also any words you have taught the keyboard so far. if it had the ablilit yto upload info it would say " full network access"

18. superdesi

well that puts some peace of mind in me! Hello new Swype! my new keyboard replacement :D

19. Turtledroid

Turtledroid Member

Whenever you install any keyboard app, the standard OMG disclaimer warning appears. It's no big deal.

20. UGAdroid

UGAdroid Well-Known Member

So I signed up for the official Beta version a while ago, but never heard anything after registering. Now that I know there is a leaked version, I really want it...I haven't heard a single negative thing about it (besides that one guy who posted the "pirated version" thread). Two questions though...

At the download site, it says use the code at your own risk. What exactly does that mean? At first I thought it was because it was only for rooted phones, but i understand that's not the case.

Also, does anyone know when the official version comes out?

Thanks

21. superdesi

i heard it comes out sometime this month. But the beta is great ive had no problems!

22. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

This app is great!! I now type long responses without hesitation and the prediction is very accurate.

23. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

I agree that this is great. If you are worried about personal data then you are using the wrong phone. Google loves your info.

24. UGAdroid

UGAdroid Well-Known Member

(Not sure if u were referencing me or not). I'm not concerned about personal data, because I agree with your Google comment. I am curious about risks to the phone itself such as malware, etc.
    Thanks.

And I'm talking about the unofficial dl, not swype itself...

25. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

I just tried this because of all the people posting about it. I fell in love. I just started using it and I am already typing pretty quickly