• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

swype to type

Wait, will swype still auto correct if you disable the DROID's auto correct?

if not, that could be the answer - but then that takes out all the auto corrects....

Swype has it's own algorithms. Turning off the Droid keyboard auto correct would't work.

jfc, why is everyone making an issue about the use (or lack thereof) of capital letters?

Is there a full moon out or something, or is this just all of a sudden turning into troll central?

Who is everyone? I don't see anyone besides me commenting on it. And I don't see how it is trolling as I also seemed to be the only one who suggested a couple ways it could be done.

Upvote 0
"I CAN'T READ THOSE UGLY LITTLE LETTERS." "Why are you SHOUTING?" "what's everyone arguing about? everything still looks all in uppercase on my display."

Back in the day, computers and their peripherals had only uppercase letters. The memory required to accommodate the extra bit, two or three per character was an extravagance that was not justifiable. Later ASCII and EBCDIC "extensions" could encode lowercase as well.

The Lear-Siegler ADM-3A and VT-100 computer terminals featured a "full" 24 lines of 80 characters. Their additional memory options to support lowercase character sets were pretty dear. Eventually, advanced options supported "the 25th line" (ooh), 132 columns, blinking, underlining (aah), graphics characters, color (oh!), and eventually a bit-mapped display.

Some OSes' command line interfaces were designed then to be non-case-sensitive to make the transition to support peripherals with lowercase character sets less problematic. Still many users kept their caps lock permantly set, either to type the uppercase only command names or merely to look familiar and/or more legible. Many of the first lowercase character sets did not have "descenders." Their dot matrix character cell could not display the descending portion of the lowercase letters, g, j, p, q, y, any lower than the other letters. The "g" could look almost identical to the "S." In a 5x7 dot-matrix character cell many of the lowercase letters were near illegible.

UNIX though was case-sensitive and OS "commands" were all in lowercase and the war was on. The warriors were often the older computer professionals faced-off against recent college graduates that had learned computers (and UNIX) in school. The battlefield was e-mail and Usenet as they exploded in popularity with ARPANET, UUCP and then the Internet. Many users would type their e-mail messages with their caps-lock still depressed and others typed all in lowercase.

I became quite adept at recognizing the "handwriting" of my Internet friends, but after a couple years of lowering RAM costs, new terminal devices and peer pressure most were using mixed case and eventually an approximation of proper English.

Upvote 0
Like a user previously stated, when hitting the "I" key, the lower case "i" is the fourth option down. Have you turned off the Word Prediction option in Preferences?

i have turned off word prediction. i have tried adding the lowercase "i" to the dictionary. i've tried holding down the lowercase i key (long pressing) so i get the menu with i, #, ], all those options, then selecting the i, then trying to type after that lowercase i, and it still capitalizes it for me. i've tried everything. it's very frustrating.

Upvote 0
You want a lower case I by itself? When I hit the i key the word chooser comes up and a lower case "i" is the 4th choice. Just tap on that.

that doesn't actually work for me. here's what i'm trying to do. i want to, say, send a text. i want to type "i need to go to the store." i hit the i, then i go to swype "need" and the i is automatically capitalized for me. another instance would be if i go to type "there is something i need." i swype something, then i hit i, then i go to swype need, and the i is automatically capitalized. i have even tried to hit the i, then hit the space bar, then swype the new word, but it still capitalizes. maybe i am just a crazy person (oh so likely), but i cannot figure out how to make just a plain old lowercase i (i do not use caps). any ideas? feel free to make fun of me if i'm just being dumb, but i really can't figure this out. thanks for any help.

His suggestion does work. To type "what i need" swype the word "what" then tap the letter i and you will see the word selector with the choices "I" "if" "in" and "i" just tap the lower case i in the list then swype your next word "need" and the i will stay lower case.

Upvote 0
His suggestion does work. To type "what i need" swype the word "what" then tap the letter i and you will see the word selector with the choices "I" "if" "in" and "i" just tap the lower case i in the list then swype your next word "need" and the i will stay lower case.

i get no word selector after i type the letter i. it just goes directly to the next word ("need") and auto caps my i. is there a setting that i need to *enable* rather than disable to get this to work?

Upvote 0
Check it and you should get the list

OMG, thank you so much! i knew it couldn't be so insanely impossible. works fabulously. thanks again. you have saved what little was left of my sanity. and i'm pretty sure you didn't make fun of me and my grasp of grammar and punctuation, either, which is always a bonus. very cool, thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones