swype with 2.1 on droid

1. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

quick question,

Im ready to try out swipe, but i am not sure if it works well with the new 2.1 update, so before i go downloading it, anyone have any problems with swype and Droid 2.1?

thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I am using it with a rooted ROM based on the original 2.1 update. It works fine.
    MarcMaiden likes this.
  3. mrw5641

mrw5641 Well-Known Member

in saying that, if you download sywpe off the internet and upload it to your phone, you have to uncheck that you allow this app to be downloaded, becausing this app isnt comming from the market does it void your warranty?
  4. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

i had swype, but now it says that it is expired. can i un install it, then re install it and will it work again? someone said it was a limited beta, but if others are still using it, there must be a way to have it re enabled. can you let me know how to do this? thanks.
  5. wordweaver27

wordweaver27 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem! Help anyone?
  6. sdguy67

sdguy67 Well-Known Member

I have it downloaded, but the app doesn't show up on my app list, but it does on the "manage app" list where you uninstall apps.

How do I get this to work?
  7. NajinX

NajinX Member

I have the OTA 2.1 update and am using Swype with no issues (other than the input switching that's been an issue for awhile).

You have to uninstall both Swype and the Swype installer.

I then went to the Swype site, re downloaded the installer then the program. The same steps you took when you first installed.
    MarcMaiden likes this.
  8. sdguy67

I dont see anything on the website that has any downloaders. Am I on the right site?
    Swype | Text Input for Screens
  9. sdguy67

Ok, I figured it out. You have to go into settings then language and keyboard, then make sure Swype is checked
  10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

No change in Swype from 2.0.1 to 2.1 for me.
  11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

...and then select it as the Input Method (long press on a field, choose Input Method and then select Swype).
  12. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

thanks for the answers guys! the official release cant come soon enough...
  13. mrw5641

so does installing swype void your warranty>?
  14. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member

no it does not
  15. mrw5641

thanks man, i meant like if you download it online and then put it on ur sd card?.....
  16. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

No. Installing third-party apps that aren't from the market (whether they're from websites, your SD card, your cat's hairball) doesn't void your warranty.
  17. mrw5641

thanks grainy
  18. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

it is a great app, i downloaded it but I uninstalled it because it only works in the English language. I am bilingual and I also text in my native language and I have to tap every letter to to enter a word Hopefully when the final version comes out, it will work in some other languages too
  19. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

Is there no way to get swype now? Im using shapewriter and would like to try swype for a bit.
  20. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

There was an open beta but it is currently closed. I image it will officially be released soon.
    mills23 likes this.
  21. FoFa

FoFa Member

i had the original leaked version of swype, it ended, noiw i can't get it to work, nor the 5612 version. The keyboard comes up, but it doesn't "swype"
    Anyway i can get it working until we have an official version available?
  22. dwolf312

dwolf312 Well-Known Member

I have the 5228 ver on my phone it still works fine.