swype

Last Updated:

1. petuniaedward

petuniaedward New Member

I'm having trouble downloading Swype. Any suggestions?

Advertisements
  2. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Any more details so we can help you figure it out?

3. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

After a quick review of the rules...not sure if I can post that link to that site. So, use the link above to find the site and go from there. IDK if it is in fact pirated since it is Beta

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Yep, links to swype are forboden. :D

Swype has some pretty aggressive lawyers and they feel that they should be the only ones to publicly distribute swype in its beta form. We don't like being sued, so we tend to agree with them. :D

5. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. Wonder why Droid-Life would risk having it as one of their articles if Swype is like that

6. burbankfun4u

burbankfun4u Member

After waiting MONTHS for swype to come back I've basically given up. This week I started using "slideIT" which is free on the Market. it basically does a lot of the same things and now I'm over swype.

7. venk25

venk25 New Member

Isn't SlideIT a demo? When does it expire?

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Swype opened their beta users list again in May or June, and I would not be surprised to see it open again next month.

I got in the first time they offered the beta, and I still love it....

9. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I got the beta the first time it was opened. Just sign up for the beta and they will notify you when it is open for the public again.

I tried slideIT and almost threw my baby (Droid, not child... LOL) off a cliff! I was so frustrated with it that I was constantly screaming. It always used the wrong words and could never guess the right words. Swype can guess the right word almost every time!

Kratos

10. johnlgalt

Swype also *learns* as it goes along - and you can even remove words that it finds when you want to Swype something else - I routinely Swype the word valley, and it always had Valery at the top of the list -so, I got rid of it as a match for my Swype - not it puts Valley in every time.

11. kratos

How do you do that? I thought that you could only add words and remove them.

Kratos

12. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Not exactly sure, but have you tried going into Settings (from the home screen)->keyboard->Swype Settings and there should be a Dictionary setting. I used Swype months ago so I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully, John will chime in.

13. burbankfun4u

burbankfun4u Member

After a week, I have to agree with you. My slideIT beta just ended and I won't be buying it. You are right, it does not seem as intuitive as swype... hopefully they'll put swype on the market. Seems odd that it's loaded onto Droid X but not available to the rest of the droid world

14. kratos

I cannot remember where I read this and it was a while ago too, but I remember reading that Swype was more interested in selling their app to phone makers to include as a default keyboard than they are opening it to the Android community as a whole. Hopefully, they change their minds about that or at least allow those of us that have become so dependent on it to keep at least a beta copy of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to release it on the market for a price. There is just too much demand for Swype to not justify releasing it to the community instead of just to the phone makers.

I guess time will only tell.

Kratos

15. johnlgalt

For example, I use the word Valley a lot, but every time I swype it I get Valery as my top choice. I then let it pick Valery for me, then highlight the word it just placed, and hit the "Swype" symbol to bring up the list again - and then I can long-press on the first choice, Valery, to remove it from the list.

This is explained in much better detail (and with animated tutorials!) in the Swype tutorial.

Although this may have in fact been true, I cannot see why they would have opened up the beta for users to use if they were not in fact planning on marketing to to said users.

I have paid for over $75 worth of apps on my phone, and I would gladly pay as much as $10 for this one app - it sames me more time than I can ever imagine....