1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Swype?

Last Updated:

1. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This maybe old but I am pretty sure it is not illegal. I have noticed that many of you are talking about swype. I read previous forums which brought some insight about this topic and it looks to me that rooted users can actually use swype without the worry of expiration. I am not really sure if that is correct but it really does not matter because I really do not have time to root my phone. Second is I believe I read that the official version of Swype is in a closed beta as of the current moment. Is this true? Do you guys believe that there will be an official version that would be released for the HTC Evo 4G so that we can enjoy it too. I can see myself paying for an app like that because I think it really could maximize my texting skills while in meetings and situations which I cannot speak to the phone.

I would love to get some input from you guys and again I don't think my question is illegal because I am wondering about the official version of swype.

Advertisement
  2. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

I think there will an official version. I think I read somewhere it is being released on some other htc/stood devices. I think.

Ultimate is similar to swype. You can try it for free for a day. I prefer it over swype because it has a microphone and is fully custom - you can change the colors, layout, etc.

That being said, I still use swype a lot but Ultimate its my default.

3. alextop30

Well the only logical question is why develop a program in a beta stage only to discontinue it or move it to another platform. This really does not make sense to me if swype already has a beta it logically should be just a matter of time before they iron out the bugs and than release the first official version on the android market.

4. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

im waiting on blindtype to come out google recently bought them.

5. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

You do know that with the unrevoked simple root it only takes about 5 minutes right?

6. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I keep asking this question and no one has an answer - the puzzling thing is that it came preinstalled on my Captivate. So does AT&T have a deal with the authors? I've seen no mention of it being a beta program.

7. alextop30

that blind type thing look very nice. Reinbeau I think that only Samsung has the exclusivity of the full version swype. My friend at work has the Galaxy S from T-Mobile and he has the full swype so I think it is something limited to Samsung even though many phones are on the android interface and completely capable of using Swype it is just that it is not released for the general public. :(

reinbeau likes this.
  8. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

Swype prefers to have their app installed by the manufacturer. It's only beta for those of us who install it aftermarket.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

reinbeau likes this.
  9. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Thank you both, I get it now - and I guess I (and all the other Samsung owners) am lucky - Swype is really growing on me!

10. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

There are a few Swype alternatives that you could try.

11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Here's the relevant part from the link:
    It's a old dead horse that has been beaten quite a bit.

There's nothing illegal in discussing Swype. However, it is illegal to distribute.

12. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

I don't think rooted or non rooted makes a difference. If they put code in to have it expire, it will eventually expire. When the latest version was released to Beta, a few people said they had cracked the expiration and someone else ported a MIC to it. I believe Swype is preloaded on my wife Droid X (I haven't played with it enough).

13. eluno

eluno Well-Known Member

you can still find swipe at some fourms. you just have to look harder. i am running swipe right now on my evo. so i know it works and is out thier. if someone really needs help finding swipe pm me. and i'll see what i can do to help.

14. reneeh63

reneeh63 New Member

I'd love an updated source....I found Swype a couple months ago and then it "expired"...found an update but then IT expired! Now I'm using "SlideIt" but it's not as accurate. I really miss Swype...