• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
hey question here..i installed the swypeincredible.apk and used astro and when i go thru tutorial i seem to never finish it or do something wrong..i go to send sumone a txt and the swype keyboard is there but wont work..

What device did you load it on? (That "Device" section under your name is there for a reason. :) ) Sounds like you got the wrong version.

Installed swype on my Dinc. Getting a message, "Swype package you installed does not match the screen size of the device. Please contact Swype about this issue. SCreen size:480x800."

Also........doesn't appear to work in landscape mode.

Any advice to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks...

Looks like you installed the HVGA version on your WVGA device. Ask the dude above where he got his copy. lol

Upvote 0
I just put it onto my SD card and installed it using Astro. Had to allow non Market apps to be installed. Went to write a message, Keyboard types, and it wasn't there. Rebooted the phone and it's still not there. Does the phone have to be Rooted for this work??

Thanks,

No, you don't have to be rooted.

2 things you have to do:

1. Go into settings, keyboard, and make sure swype is checked.
2. hold down the text box, then change the input method.

Let us know if you do both of those steps and still have problems

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Installed swype on my Dinc. Getting a message, "Swype package you installed does not match the screen size of the device. Please contact Swype about this issue. SCreen size:480x800."

Also........doesn't appear to work in landscape mode.

Any advice to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks...

Probably downloading wrong swype version. MAke sure its for your phone.
Which phone do you have?

Upvote 0
Dut, I am guessing Dinc=Droid Incredible? Incredible has a resolution of 480x800 meaning you need the Nexus One Swype.

Do a Google search for Nexus.Swype.Beta.5612.apk, you get a tweetmeme result.

This links you to the file which works with the 480x800 resolution WVGA screens. Dl it, change it from .apk.zip to .apk, put it on ur sdcard and run it through Astro or any file manager.

Upvote 0
Dude this is the way texting on a touch screen should be. It is really revolutionary.

Whenever people ask me, why I bought my phone over an iPhone, I say potential. You can customize your homescreens however you like (widgets are the greatest thing ever). You can replace the keyboard if you don't like it, you can replace the SMS client if you don't like it, you can replace the voice dialer if you don't like it. Through Google Voice and VOIP, you can get unlimited minutes over data. Free tethering. Free navigation. And with popularity growing as fast as it has, development of apps will continue to grow faster (like it has been).

Once Froyo gets flash and Apps2SD, Android will be unbeatable.

Upvote 0
Dude this is the way texting on a touch screen should be. It is really revolutionary.

Whenever people ask me, why I bought my phone over an iPhone, I say potential. You can customize your homescreens however you like (widgets are the greatest thing ever). You can replace the keyboard if you don't like it, you can replace the SMS client if you don't like it, you can replace the voice dialer if you don't like it. Through Google Voice and VOIP, you can get unlimited minutes over data. Free tethering. Free navigation. And with popularity growing as fast as it has, development of apps will continue to grow faster (like it has been).

Once Froyo gets flash and Apps2SD, Android will be unbeatable.

i agree and as soon as my android eris or eric as i came to call him :D gets apps2sd well be untouchable follow #teamandroid on twitter

Upvote 0
Dut, I am guessing Dinc=Droid Incredible? Incredible has a resolution of 480x800 meaning you need the Nexus One Swype.

Do a Google search for Nexus.Swype.Beta.5612.apk, you get a tweetmeme result.

This links you to the file which works with the 480x800 resolution WVGA screens. Dl it, change it from .apk.zip to .apk, put it on ur sdcard and run it through Astro or any file manager.

Yes, Incredible.

I'll follow this on with another question. Downloaded it and installed. Went to Keyboard settings and enabled Swype....and, it still doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.....

Upvote 0
Yes, Incredible.

I'll follow this on with another question. Downloaded it and installed. Went to Keyboard settings and enabled Swype....and, it still doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.....

if its anything like the eris which it may not be you have to long press a text entry field and then select the swype but again it may not be like the eris..

Upvote 0
if its anything like the eris which it may not be you have to long press a text entry field and then select the swype but again it may not be like the eris..

Ok...got Swype to work and still get the exact same message, except this time it is 800x480 (when turned to landscape).

Also....is there a way to set Swype to always be the default or do you need to choose each time?

Upvote 0
Also....is there a way to set Swype to always be the default or do you need to choose each time?

Yes, once you follow the two steps i posted in message #27, it will be your default. And can always easily be changed following the same steps.

As far as your other problem, I'm not sure.
I would look for other Incredible owners and get them to share their download link.

Upvote 0
I opened my Swype today and tried to start typing, got the message "your Swype trial has expired, please upgrade"...

So, now what? I go to the Swype site, and it says "beta closed". Ok, fine. I don't paying for the thing, but I gotta have a link or something.

Sorry if the answer is on here somewhere and I missed it...I'm really, really busy today and don't have time to do the looking. If someone would just kindly reply and help me out, I'd be very grateful.

besiderself

Upvote 0
Anyone how to get to swype permanently on the phone cause I only got the trial version it only lasted a day

Seems it has ended for everyone as of last night.
If it only lasted a day for you... that's just bad luck. Seems you downloaded it the day before the trial ended.:D

The link above should work... hopefully this isn't a trial version. All I know is that it's working now....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones