• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The opposite is true, actually. I tried Swype and just didn't like it. Then I gave ShapeWriter a few days and loved it. To be honest I wish Swype worked as well, it looks nicer and has all the characters I like to use, but no such luck.

After bashing Shapewriter for a while... I have changed my opinion about it.
You finally got me to budge MrMixel :D

I wrote my review about it here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/86209-swype-vs-shapewriter.html#post819704

Upvote 0
Followup: after seriously giving Swype a fair shake, I'm back on SW. Swype looks better, has a more robust special character selection, but in terms of straight functionality it just doesn't work as well. My discoveries:

1) Again, Swype didn't like periods. I had to manually put a space after periods and THEN it would capitalize the letter.

2) Better dictionary. Somehow ShapeWriter figured out names (pulled them from my contacts, maybe?), as well as some odd words that I wouldn't have expected.

3) Since it reads by shape instead of which letters you either change direction on or curly-q, it makes typing words with repeating letters a breeze. I tested the sentence "the bookeeper looked between the sheets" on both, and Shapewriter did it the first time (I only had to fix "the"), whereas Swype wasn't even close.

4) When you accidentally type the wrong word on ShapeWriter, hitting backspace eliminates the full word. Swype goes letter by letter. So when you mis-tap on "thrice" instead of "thrive", it's an easy fix on SW.

6) I got spoiled by ShapeWriter's method of capitalization, where you hit the button AFTER typing the word. Then you can cycle through no caps, first letter caps, or ALL caps. Great for SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.

7) Adding a word to the dictionary is a snap, plus once you do it seems to log that word as "commonly used" so it comes up nearer the front of the list when you type.

8) The placement of the word bank is much nicer, and it's always there. It's not an obtrusive popup window.

Swype does win in a few categories, but for speed and precision, SW just whomps it.

Upvote 0
Followup: after seriously giving Swype a fair shake, I'm back on SW. Swype looks better, has a more robust special character selection, but in terms of straight functionality it just doesn't work as well. My discoveries:

1) Again, Swype didn't like periods. I had to manually put a space after periods and THEN it would capitalize the letter.

2) Better dictionary. Somehow ShapeWriter figured out names (pulled them from my contacts, maybe?), as well as some odd words that I wouldn't have expected.

3) Since it reads by shape instead of which letters you either change direction on or curly-q, it makes typing words with repeating letters a breeze. I tested the sentence "the bookeeper looked between the sheets" on both, and Shapewriter did it the first time (I only had to fix "the"), whereas Swype wasn't even close.

4) When you accidentally type the wrong word on ShapeWriter, hitting backspace eliminates the full word. Swype goes letter by letter. So when you mis-tap on "thrice" instead of "thrive", it's an easy fix on SW.

6) I got spoiled by ShapeWriter's method of capitalization, where you hit the button AFTER typing the word. Then you can cycle through no caps, first letter caps, or ALL caps. Great for SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.

7) Adding a word to the dictionary is a snap, plus once you do it seems to log that word as "commonly used" so it comes up nearer the front of the list when you type.

8) The placement of the word bank is much nicer, and it's always there. It's not an obtrusive popup window.

Swype does win in a few categories, but for speed and precision, SW just whomps it.

I will try to dispute some.

2) Swype figures out contacts for me

4) Long press backspace deletes word

5) You don't have a 5.

7) It isn't hard too add words to swype dictionary

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Remember, unless your phone came with swype installed from factory, you are using a beta version. The end result will be even better.

Swype is possibly trying to expand in too many directions at the same time with thier whopping 27person team resulting in slow release.

Swype will eventually be on intergrated into such things as payment kiosk and even your TV.

Upvote 0
I will try to dispute some.

2) Swype figures out contacts for me

4) Long press backspace deletes word

5) You don't have a 5.

7) It isn't hard too add words to swype dictionary

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

2) Does it? Fair enough!

4) Swype DOES most of these things, but the way to make it happen is a PITA, y'know?

5) That's because 5 is for losers.

7) It's not hard, it's just not as seamless. See 4.

I'm not calling Swype bad by any means, just it isn't quite as polished overall as ShapeWriter.

Upvote 0

I'm still using Shapewriter and am getting a little more used to it.
But let me correct a few things about Swype.

1. Actually, i think you are way wrong on this. I think periods is easier on Swype. (please correct me if there's an easier way on Shapewriter)
With swype you can actually swype from the period over the spacebar, and it'll put in the space for you and the Cap the next sentence. Same with with comma which is in the other side of the spacebar... just swype from comma to space.

I did like how Shapewriter added my contacts to it's dictionary.
While Swype doesn't do this automatically, to add words to dictionary simply 'tap' in the word and hit space... and VOILA! Word is added.

3. Agree

4 long press back with swype

5. I WIN this argument!!! :D

6. See #1. But i do like how Shapewriter does this....

7. see #2

8. Shaperwriter wins this one.
IN swype i often hit the wrong word.

Again, i have found that both these apps are great.
I think if I was told i had to pick one and couldn't have the other, i think i would go back to Swype.
But again, like i posted earlier... I am using shapewriter because of it's multiple languages, since i text a lot in spanish.
It amazes me how it even puts in letters like:

Upvote 0
1. Actually, i think you are way wrong on this. I think periods is easier on Swype. (please correct me if there's an easier way on Shapewriter)
With swype you can actually swype from the period over the spacebar, and it'll put in the space for you and the Cap the next sentence. Same with with comma which is in the other side of the spacebar... just swype from comma to space.

I did like how Shapewriter added my contacts to it's dictionary.
While Swype doesn't do this automatically, to add words to dictionary simply 'tap' in the word and hit space... and VOILA! Word is added.

Thanks for the well thought out response! So let's keep goin'...

1) In Shapewriter you don't need to hit space at ALL after you hit a comma or period. Hit a period and then just start making the next word, it both spaces and capitalizes. This is a really, really minor gripe, but it did screw me up multiple times.

2) Again, in SW you needn't hit space. Just tap "add" and start tracing the next word.

What it seems to ME is that Swype "back ends" its spaces and Shapewriter "front ends" them. What I mean is, Shapewriter is putting spaces BEFORE words, so whatever punctuation you put in doesn't make a difference except for capitalization. Swype seems to put spaces AFTER words, which means if you hit a period, there's no longer a space and so the user has to put it in either by tapping or swiping from the period.

Part of this is all likely due to simple aesthetics and preferences, but one thing I like about SW is that I can be a little "sloppier" with my tracing. It's all about speed and since SW doesn't give a crap what the exact letters you hit are, but rather the shape it makes in a given region of the keyboard, it's more exact whenever I'm quickly making little circles and loops with my thumb.

If we could make some hybrid of the two, then we'd be in business. Because Swype's keyboard layout just demolishes SW's piece-a-crap. I hate putting characters in with SW, and a lot of them are either missing entirely or really hard to get at. I use the | in a lot of emoticons, and putting that little guy in there is a serious pain in the ass. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones