Swyped out

Last Updated:

1. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After loading up ROMs off and on for the last couple months, and having to re-download Swype each time, today I got the message, "you have installed Swype the maximum number of times."

I love(d) Swype, but that's the last straw. After putting up with the bug where you have to switch to the android keyboard and back every time you reboot your phone, and putting up with having to re-download Swype from their server every time you load a new ROM, now they are telling me AFTER THE FACT that there is a limit to the number of times I can do this ....

SCREW them. I'm going to have to try to get used to Shapewriter, because NO keyboard is worth all the hoops Swype makes you jump through - and for what? After patiently dealing with the inconveniences of the Swype beta for the last couple months, they freakin pull the rug out from under me without so much as a WARNING? How freakin hard would it have been to display a message like, "Warning: you have three installs remaining"?

That's it. I know they won't miss me, one measly user in a sea of loyal followers. But I'll say one thing: I used to sing the praises of Swype to everyone who would listen, and now I'm going to keep my mouth shut about Swype and recommend alternatives. For example, I'm writing this with Shapewriter and it's really pretty good. Just my little personal protest, if for nothing else than to make me feel better.

Advertisement
  2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Swype is in beta are you using the official beta from them or the leaked version... I ask because I use the official beta and have never had this problem... The thing with swype is that it was not originally suppose to be available as a stand alone app... It is made for manufactures too use as a packaged keyboard... Swype released the beta after the apk leaked as they figured out there was an after market need... I haven't heard when or if it will be available as a liget app...
    Also if you are using the legit beta I have heard that emailing them will solve the problem....
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Stretch2m

Official beta. 100% legit user.

4. ska.t73

I would send them an email then I have heard that had helped some people that have had this problem... And didn't mean any disrespect by asking if it was legit I've just seen a lot of people having problems with swype only to find out they were using the leaked version...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

One of the benefits of using Titanium backup. I have more than earned my "frequent flasher miles" and never had to re-download swipe. I just restore it (and my other apps) each time. For non-market apps it is a real lifesaver.

6. Stretch2m

Son of a gun! I do use Titanium Backup, or I did, except for the last 5 or 6 ROM tests, when I didn't bother reloading all my apps. So I just tried restoring Swype from an old Titanium Backup, and it worked!

Now I have to decide how I can take back my rant! :O

7. shrink57

I'll PM my address so you can put your check in the mail :D

8. Stretch2m

Would a hearty thank you suffice?

9. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Na...I'm pretty sure Shrink is gonna want the check! :D He's money hungry like that...he has lots of ex wives to pay off! lol

10. shrink57

Hey, I'll take what I can get :cool:

11. shrink57

I hope they are not reading this forum. I hate to have the check garnished like the rest of them :eek:

12. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Any comparison between SlideIT and Swype?.. I'm sick of the pickiness of Swype myself..

13. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Swype is def not perfect, but I can't live w/o it. It annoys me sometimes and can be a chore if you have to type a lot of urls, screennames, and passwords. But that's why I'm glad I have the physical keyboard. The combination of both really make for a great texting experience.

14. ska.t73

My thoughts exactly... I wish there was a feature where we could make a default keyboard for certain tasks, like the HTC keyboard for the browser and terminal, and Swype for text messaging and everything else...

15. tfleming23

tfleming23 Well-Known Member

What I actually did the last time, because Titanium didn't always work, was leave the Swype installer on the SD card. After I've re-flashed I go into the download folder using Astro and install it that way, that works everytime

16. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism Well-Known Member

I love Swype - using the apk that was posted on the Motorola Support forums and just cannot go back to a regular keyboard. Does it have its quirks? Yes, but they are minimal if you ask me. This was how typing was meant to be!

And for the record, I have never had the reboot issue you described where you have to switch to the android keyboard and then back again. Swype has remained my default keyboard through countless reboots...

17. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 Well-Known Member

I've never had to reinstall Swype after rebooting or switching roms either.