Swyped...General

Last Updated:

1. bweave

bweave Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have finally given up on Swype.... it is an amazing app but I found myself working so hard to find copies that did not expire and that worked all the time.

Why should I spend that much energy when I have found SlideIT and it works pretty darn well too? Instead of working hard to find an illegal copy of software from a company that does not seem to want me anyway, I bit the bullet and bought SlideIT.

I challenge all of you using Swype who did not obtain it as a beta tester to step up and support one of the other Swype type keyboards, legally...

FWIW - I have no affiliation with any of the products and am still learning how to use my DINC....

Advertisement
  2. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

+1

I downloaded SlideIt soft. I am considering dropping the $5 on the full version just to spite Swype.

3. livspop

livspop Well-Known Member

I downloaded SlideIT this weekend when my Swype apk expired. Today I purchased the full version of SlideIT.

In many ways, it's superior to Swype. I find myself having to swipe a little bit more slowly, but I end up with fewer "mistakes" in the end, so time-wise it's a wash. I'm very impressed with it so far. I was planning to get Swype if/when it ever became public, but now I don't see the need at all. My suggestion is to bail on Swype and support SlideIT....

Oh, and the full version ends up costing $7.81 after conversion....

4. emmur0

emmur0 Well-Known Member

I hate that I have to switch input types from swype to android keyboard and back every morning after I reboot to have Swype work properly.

5. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member

sorry if I'm repeating here but, it was supposed to be fixed in the september release...but obviously, we;'re still having the issue....

swype works perfectly on my wife's fascinate...

6. tbeas

tbeas Well-Known Member

I used Swype, SlideIT, and one other slider keyboard, and honestly I am now just back to using the regular keyboard. I like it better I think. I may end up going back to Swype once it is final.

7. gparadox

gparadox Well-Known Member

Swype isn't official released yet. The one on fascinate seems to work fine though, and it has the microphone button.

cant wait til they update their beta and put it on the market.

8. jrm1013

jrm1013 Active Member

I can't decide if I like SlideIT or Swype better. Maybe Swype but just because I am more accustomed to it and I have only been using SlideIT for a couple days. Both way better than stock.

I remember someone emailing Swype and asking for a ballpark estimate on an official release date. Their response was something to the effect of they didn't have plans to release it on the market, but rather just contract the product to cell phone manufacturers to have it preloaded onto phones. That was roughly 1 - 2 months ago. Maybe I should send an email myself to clarify, because I might be wrong.

9. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Well-Known Member

So, what is their plan.....to let all the Beta testers do all their research and de-bugging and then, pull the plug and leave everyone stranded? If they do that, there will be a lot of pissed-off people.

10. ddtan

ddtan Member

is SlideIT Soft just a link to a demo video, or is it functional, because I couldn't get it do do anything.

11. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

That seems to be the plan. I think it will eventually geta market release, but the beta as it stands seems to be for testing and marketing purposes only. Why else havea closed beta?

I honestly prefer swype over SlideIT, but SlideIT will be receiving my monies for more than the obvious reasons.

12. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

Are there any skins for SlideIT?

13. Randino

Randino Well-Known Member

Neither me or my wife have problems with swype, hell swype even emails us and tells us when to update, sign up for the beta, when they open it, you'll be home free like me.

14. bigdragons

bigdragons Well-Known Member

Is there a difference between the keyboard free to purchased slideit?

15. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

I'm in the beta and I have to universal and reinstall it everyday.

16. BetaMan

BetaMan Well-Known Member

I bought SlideIt a few days ago because Swype puked. Still getting used to it. Miss some of the functions in Swype, but like some of the functions in SlideIT too.

It will take a while, but I like it better than stock AND it includes a Microphone on the keyboard!!! $7.81 for a keyboard I won't have to worry about dying every 30 days! It's worth it!

17. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

I've not heard anyone else having to do that. There is the bug that requires changing input method to Touch and then back to Swype after a reboot, but that's far from requiring a daily uninstall/reinstall.

What are the symptoms that force you to do this?

18. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

I like slide it too. The microphone is especially appreciated. The developer seems very responsive to suggestions

19. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member

once you enable swype in the keyboard settings, you then have to long press in a typing environment (I usually just open a google search and long press) and select "input method". Then choose Swype and you will never have to reselect it after re-boot.

20. JayCizzo

JayCizzo Well-Known Member

A lot of folks, including myself, are having the issue where each time you reboot your phone Swype won't swype. You have to long press a text field, select the default keyboard, long press again, abd reselect Swype to get it to work. I have the newest beta release.

whiteacre likes this.
  21. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Any news on that new keyboard we heard about a few weeks ago, can't remember the name, you could just mash the touch screen and it would predict what you typed. It looked neat, im giving up on swype as its never accurate, usually have to type another text message because i forget to read it before i send.

22. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

I just purchased Ultra Keyboard, and so far, so good. Totally customizable.

23. MooN

MooN Well-Known Member

I don't understand why Swype is still "beta" when it comes pre-installed in the DroidX? I'm getting really annoyed with having to find working versions as well.

24. candy14510

candy14510 Well-Known Member

This really stinks....I have been using swype for months!!!! I am using the trial of SlideIt...don't like it as much....but what choice do i have?? Any other suggestions???

25. JayCizzo

JayCizzo Well-Known Member

As mentioned, I would go with Ultra Keyboard. Well worth the $2.79 or whatever. Turn on "tracing" in the settings and it works just like Swype, except with a ton of customizations and settings.