• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Why couldn't you "keyboard in portrait"?

I feel like everyone who promotes Ultra Keyboard never says why it's any good. Thus I'm sticking with Swype.

I am a big fan of swype and have been a beta tester for quite a while. (Legitimate beta tester that is). In any case, I've emailed many suggestions, found bugs, etc., but the newest version is very buggy. And the fact that they will not give a firm date for a release is frustrating.

Anyways, I decided to try ultra keyboard. Here's my assessment. I used the Hero theme which gives larger keys, and I set it so it was the full keyboard (instead of the compact mode with shared keys). You can turn trace on which makes it very similar to swype, except if you pause over a letter it keys in that letter to make sure it doesn't guess a wrong word. This really made typing a lot more accurate. It does have a menu that lets you navigate left, right, up, down, text select, etc which is quick to access. You can enable multi-touch at the same time as swype, which means you can turn the phone to landscape and choose to either swype or thumb-type. In landscape mode, the thumb-typing for me was as good (if not better) than the ported over droidx multitouch keyboard. On top of that, it has the voice to text button which works quite well. Not to mention, you can customize the skin, keys, etc, and it has a cool feature under the keyboard options labeled "turn on camera" which makes the keyboard transparent and displays the view through your camera behind the where you are typing. This way, if you are texting while walking you will not run into poles, potholes, cars, etc. This has never been a problem for me, and I probably will not use it, but it is one of many neat little features it has.

From using it a little under 24 hours, I feel this is a much more polished keyboard than swype with a lot more options. I'll be spending the $2.79 (or whatever it is) and purchasing it this afternoon. I would advise any swype fan who is getting frustrated to try the free trial and see if it is right with you.

Reactions: load97 and jamor
Upvote 0
I don't get the big uproar about no mic button on the swype keyboard.....

Voice to text is awesome, but just hit Menu->Speak.....2 presses....

If they ever offer a paid version it'll be my first app purchase. Until then it's beta to beta....hopefully.

I might be missing something but I don't see a speak button when I hit menu.

Help!

Upvote 0
Just a quick note to those who were having problems getting the correct words in Ultra Keyboard, did you guys use its built in calibration? There is an option to calibrate under the Ultra keyboard settings. I noticed a few missed words (with the correct one as alternate choices) before calibrating, and since calibrating I'm not having any problems. There are a few differences in typing with this keyboard vs. swype, but they have an awesome manual included which runs you through all the options / features. Hope the calibration helps anyone having issues.

Upvote 0
I am dealing with the same buffoonery from Swype. I have been a beta tester for a long time, but this new version really sucks. It never stays active when I reboot and when I send the bug report in, I get no notification back. I tried out slideIT keyboard and really didn't like it. There was no autocomplete when i was typing in peoples names to text to. That and it wasn't very accurate.

Fast forward to Ultra Keyboard. I downloaded the trial and was blown away. This works very well. I am thinking I am going to buy this keyboard as well. Its $5 cheaper than slideIT too. I guess I like how customizable it is and how accurate it is when I am sliding or typing.

Upvote 0
I'm also an Ultra fan. I do have a couple of questions for UK power users: Is there a way to get a smiley key on the keyboard (without using the toolbar)? I suspect it might be there with additional themes, which leads me to question 2: where can I preview/download additional themes? I see a bunch on the market, but they appear to be for "Better Keyboard"...are they compatible? Thanks...

Upvote 0
If you want a non expiring version of swype just look around xda a little. Someone ported a copy from galaxy s phones

I sense a Mod approaching.
Wait for it, wait for it....

NOW!

XDA doesn't allow it hosted either. Regardless, AF has a STRICT policy regarding pirated apps or (as is the case with Swype) unauthorized distribution of copyright material.

Thread looks ok thus far... just consider this a friendly reminder! :)

Upvote 0
I have finally given up on Swype.... it is an amazing app but I found myself working so hard to find copies that did not expire and that worked all the time.

Why should I spend that much energy when I have found SlideIT and it works pretty darn well too? Instead of working hard to find an illegal copy of software from a company that does not seem to want me anyway, I bit the bullet and bought SlideIT.

I challenge all of you using Swype who did not obtain it as a beta tester to step up and support one of the other Swype type keyboards, legally...

FWIW - I have no affiliation with any of the products and am still learning how to use my DINC....
This.

I used Swype for several months before I finally settled on SlideIt. It was a fine app, but I never had a single stable version for more than a few weeks. I got sick of redownloading and reinstalling it whenever it crapped out, and I am never going back to using Swype.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones