• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sygic Aura - Superb free GPS Software..

Donamilo

Nov 22, 2010
Hi,

I think this software is superb...why?

Because it does not rely on you needing a phone signal. Fair enough it is not as user-friendly as TomTom etc...

But in terms of getting from A to B i think for a free app it takes some beating...

Any opinions on here????

sygic mobile maps is better i guess, have been using it for a while now on my N900 and have it installed on the DHD too. I had a look at the Aura too and installed the trial version but didnt feel much difference from the mobile maps version. Apparently, Aura is going to be their focus going forward but they would continue to support mobile maps...time will tell...

Upvote 0
sygic mobile maps is better i guess, have been using it for a while now on my N900 and have it installed on the DHD too. I had a look at the Aura too and installed the trial version but didnt feel much difference from the mobile maps version. Apparently, Aura is going to be their focus going forward but they would continue to support mobile maps...time will tell...

Is mobile maps in the market??? Will check..

Upvote 0
I recently installed the trial version of sygic, I was totally blown away. I used to own a garmin Nuvi 660 but it got stolen and never replaced, when i purchased it, it was top of the line cost around $500.

sygic is obviously a lot cheaper, and I don't think there is much it can't do that the garmin could, it has spoken street names, updated maps, fully loaded with POI's (including speed cameras) speed warnings and even has lane indicators and live traffic reporting which the garmin didn't have.

The license costs between $10 and $20 depending which map you want to register and I think that is very reasonable.

Upvote 0
Forget the "mobile maps" version for android. That is old and and discontinued. They won't be developing that anymore or updating maps. It also has several issues with later versions of android and force closes.

The Aura now called Sygic Navigation is easily the best nav software and I've tried a few on the DHD. Though it is not free after the trial and can be bought.

That as far as i remember buys lifetime map updates. (uses tomtom maps).
Also they frequently do discounts as well as a 25% off voucher when you purchase. These last a week or so and there is a forum where people post these if they aren't using them, so others can on their new purchase.

Upvote 0
As a working musician in Australia, I travel a LOT outside mobile coverage. Navigator is o.k., as long as I'm in a network coverage area. Navdroyd is a bit toytown, but the price is right.

Just before last weekend's trip I installed the demo of Sygic Aura and it's blown me away. I've never had a "real" GPS unit and so can't compare but I really like Sygic and the info it offers.

Easy to read display(on HTC Desire HD) and all the info I want including speed limits and an above speed limit warning - when you've been driving for 2 hours it's easy for attention to wander and the speed to creep up so this is, while not vital, a big plus.

I'm still finding my way around it, and I can't figure out if there's a way to enter a street address directly rather than choose the town, then choose the street, etc.

I've ended up purchasing it, which to those who know what a tightarse I am is a big shock...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones