Sync a Epic with Microsoft Outlook??Support

Last Updated:

1. OutColed

OutColed Member This Topic's Starter

Can the Epic be sync'd with Microsoft Outlook for the Calendar and contact list?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

3. alex94z

alex94z Active Member

Not sure about the Outlook client but i use it to sync with MS Exchange for work. Email, contacts, calendar work fine.

4. wryker

wryker Member

How did you set that up? We use outlook and it's an exchange server. I'm at a University so things are not 'open'. I know the mail server name (easily found in profiles) but it won't work.

5. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Is your outlook on your computer or is it stored on their server? There is a difference. If you're using a local copy of outlook for your calendar and contacts then no, you can't use their exchange server. At least I believe that's true.

I think you can sync local outlook through Samsung's New PC Studio as well. You might have to sign up on the site to access that page and download or you can just google it and find a download site.

6. wryker

wryker Member

Are you using the New PC Studio to sync?
    I believe it's all stored on their server. Rats. I'll check out that link you sent.
    And am I crazy or has Samsung removed any/all downloads associated with this phone? I went there yesterday the phone is not an option in the pull-down list for downloadable files (firmware updates or even the manual!).

7. dbpaddler

if it's on their server then you should be able to sync up. is there a domain setting also? I can't remember if I had to set that up on the Epic as well. But on other phones I've had the mail server and domain which was different. I couldn't go just off the mail server alone. You can also ask whoever does IT at the school about syncing your info to the phone. They might be able to help.

And you are correct. SPH-D700 ir is it 7000, is not in the drop down menu.

8. wryker

wryker Member

I've downloaded the software but it only sees my phone as a mass storage device and won't pull in contact info etc and I'm not sure how to use that to sync to Outlook. There is a domain setting but I noticed when setting it up is asks you for your email address versus user name which is what i see when i set up outlook on my home PC to connect to my work's outlook.

9. wryker

wryker Member

Well that was so much easier than I thought. Called our IT helpdesk and in 3 minutes my outlook is loaded. I made it more complicated than I had to.
    Still want to use the software to load music and files but it's only seeing it as a mass storage device and not seeing contacts etc.

10. alex94z

alex94z Active Member

You may want to ask your helpdesk if you are using the correct server name. When I set mine up, it asked for server name, domain, and username/password.

11. alex94z

alex94z Active Member

Good thinking! The only thing that I haven't found a solution for is viewing all data in our company directory. You can search for email addresses in the directory but it doesn't display any other data such as names or phone numbers.

12. wryker

wryker Member

Is there a reason the software link you provided and i downloaded does not see my phone as a phone but a storage device that doesn't see it as a phone so it won't push-pull anything onto-off of it?

13. dbpaddler

actually, thinking back, I think it only worked for non android phones. my bad. You'd have to buy something like "Missing Sync" to do local syncing. Everything now is made to work with the cloud.

Figured a quick call to IT would solve the problem. They probably field quite a few of those calls.

14. wryker

wryker Member

aw crap. Couldn't be THAT easy now could it? Like crackberry's software or my nokia software. you'd figured there'd be a samsung equivalent...

15. dbpaddler

different era. those OS's have existed long before cloud computing became the in thing. Just like Palm abandoned desktop syncing with webOS. Android did as well. If you buy an HTC phone, they add it back in with HTC sync. So it's up to the mfg to add that functionality back. Again, another reason why Android is a half assed "smartphone" OS and more of a glorified featurephone OS. Yet there are featurephones that will sync with outlook, so....

16. wryker

wryker Member

I was able to load the phone as an external drive and simply drag and drop any pic or song and BOOM the phone finds it...so i should be good to go!

17. rxmiller123

rxmiller123 New Member

I had contacts and appointments in my outlook w/o exchange that I wanted to sync with my new epic. after much searching, I found a free app that worked for me. MyPhoneExplorer -
    FJ Software Development
    Features:

• Adressbook - with direct sync to Outlook, GMail, Windows contacts, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Lotus Notes and Tobit David
    • Organizer with calendarview and direct sync to Outlook, Google, Sunbird, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Windows calendar(Vista), Rainlendar, Lotus Notes, Tobit David and net shared calendars (WebDAV, FTP, local)
    • SMS - archive, export, import, excessive messages,...
    • Filebrowser with cachesystem to minimize datatransfer, automatic photosync...
    • Set phoneclock based on atomtime
    • and much more. f.e.: calllists, edit profiles, control phone, memorystatus, phonemonitor,...