• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sync Android To File Server?

JaSauders

Aug 2, 2011
I'm trying to find a way to sync my Android phone's pictures folder to my file server. My server wears many hats. It has directories for Music, Videos, and Pictures. It hosts them over my LAN to my home theatre system running XBMC. That way in the living room I can bring up any form of media stored in these directories. Problem is, I want a more direct way to get my files automatically from my phone to my server in the appropriate directory instead of going the rather limited Dropbox route and rearranging things each time.

I found a few applications, but most of them were dead ends. PCFileSync was good except it was rather buggy. Aside from that, the speeds were obnoxiously slow (40KB/s on wireless N). Cheetah Sync looked good until I realized it required a local program to be installed before the Cheetah Sync app could even connect. That was an immediate strike-out.

I'm okay for paying for apps, I'm okay with writing a script, I'm okay with launching something via Tasker. Right now the best thing I have is either PCFileSync which works over Samba (SMB), but I don't have a month to wait for the sync to complete. On the other hand, I have SSH keys set up and I can authenticate to my server without a password prompt, but I am unsure of how I can rig up Tasker to launch ConnectBot and then immediately after execute an rsync command.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated. :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones