Sync birthdays from my phone contacts details with phone calender.Support

Last Updated:

1. vazzdoin

vazzdoin New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi ,
    i am using HTC desire(Android) and i am pretty much happy with the performance. The issue i wanna discuss here is that my phone does not sync the birthdays from my phone contact details to the calender, as it was availabe in my previous phone HTC Touch diamond, i used to feed the birthday details along with the contact and it syncs those birthdays with the calender when i used to sync it manually with the help of computer. But no such option is availabe in Android.
    please don't reply with the 'synching birthday contact and events' from google calender. I've seen loads of forums on that , but that ain't related to my problem. i want synchronization of my phone contact's birthday details to the phone calender. Kindly Help
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

Yeah, it's daft isnt it? Android apparently does not sync birthdays from Google (but I think (never used it myself) that HTC's Facebook integration does something to that effect).

I've been meaning to write an app not completely unlike HappyDays, but there's just no point if it doesn't ---can't!--- sync with the existing address book! There are, however, a number of similar birthday-tracking apps where you need to enter everything manually into the app (no address book/calendar integration).

[​IMG] What I do is, I've enabled the "Auto Birthdays" calendar, and sync that to my phone ... but even that is a poor solution, because the calendar entries only show birthdays (not anniversaries), do not show the person's age (only the name and day), and do not provide a direct link to the actual contact.

You'd think that Android would have been built with the last decade of PDA experience in mind, but nooo... :(

siciliano73 likes this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Ebobirthday from the market I believe does this.

KlaymenDK and vazzdoin like this.
  4. wej1976

wej1976 Active Member

Try this works a treat (if you sync contacts with google)

Log into your Google calendar via a PC (ie not your phones version of the calendar) and add a calender. Select browse interesting calendars and then select the more tab. Then subscribe to Contacts Birthdays and events.

It's a little pathetic that you have to do it this way, google should really get the contacts and calendar talking to each other in a better way.

Will

5. KlaymenDK

That's the one I was thinking of. I see that it *is* now possible to import from Google Contacts! :) However, it seems that in order to *sync* with Contacts, you need to install a plugin of apparently less-than-optimal architecture. I'm not sure, it's what they say...

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

There is a plugin yes. Not sure about how poorly coded it is. All I can say is I use it and it seems fine for me.

7. vazzdoin

Well i installed eboBirthday and it retrieved the birthdays from my phonebook too.. but now how to synchronize that birthday list with my Calender on phone.. ?? i used the eboBirthday plugin for this but it was trying to connect and fetch with google,it conected but unable to fetch anything coz there r no birthday's in my google calender, what the Crap. I need to synchronize the birthdays to my phone calender from my phonebook and not from google. What a jinx code !!

8. KlaymenDK

Try the "Export" option in the menu, and select "Calendar". That should generate a bunch of entries in your calendar.

vazzdoin likes this.
  9. vazzdoin

Aha.. that worked well .. all the entries have been populated in my phone. Thanks a lot. One more question is if there will be automatic notification generated by phone for these birthdays or i have to install some other application too or just need to tweak my phone setting only ??

10. KlaymenDK

Yes, there will. :)

EboBirthday will put up a notification "n" days prior to an upcoming birthday (you can configure what n is). However, the calendar entry won't have a reminder -- but this is actually a good thing, because then you won't get multiple reminders from both your pc and your phone.

11. siciliano73

siciliano73 New Member

ebo is a good app and will sync to the phones calender but it screws up in the upcoming years....no fix yet....