Sync Blackberry to EVOSupport

Last Updated:

1. grosser

grosser Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,

I am writing this for my friend who has an EVO.

He just replaced his Blackberry Tour with the EVO and wants to know how he can sync or transfer all of the blackberry stuff onto his new EVO. Stuff like music, calendar, photos, ringer, documents, etc. I already have him set up on google gmail so I am not sure if that make a difference.

Any thoughts would be great. I have no experience with BB; I came from windows mobile.

Again, thanks!

Advertisement
  2. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

I came from a BB Pearl and I was able to sync up all of my stuff, but i went about it a bit differently then some people would recommend.

I started off by exporting my BB contacts/ Calendar and info to .csv formatted file. From there Gmail wouldn't read it so i had Yahoo bring the info in. From Yahoo i spit out the format that Gmail would read, I cant recall what format that is off the top of my head.

Once in Gmail I was able to Edit the contacts.

It took me all of 20 minutes for this and its not the most straight forward way but it worked for me.

If you want it to sync up to the phone then Menu-> Settings-> Accounts & Sync -> Google & then click on Sync Now.

That will bring in all the contacts that the Gmail/ Google Account has.

As for music and Documents. Have him connect it to his/ her PC. Back it up then hook the Evo up and bring it in. That should do it for that stuff.

As for the ringers im not sure about. I didnt bring them over so im not sure if it will or will not work.

Try that out and let us know how it goes.

3. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

Interesting, GMail read my .csv from my BB just fine. Go to Contacts >> More actions >> Import and then a dialog box pops up asking for a .csv or vCard file.

4. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

Its possible that it can. I did this back in May & At that time I hardly used my Gmail and wasnt as familiar with it as i was Yahoo.

It wasnt able to read some format from my BB, not sure which it was. But i knew it would read the format from Yahoo then from Yahoo to Gmail.

That worked and now i have it backed up to Yahoo just in case something happens to my G Account.

5. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty sound advise to use your computer for most of the BB transfer to Android. If he already has contacts on his phone, be careful BEFORE you sync to Google contacts or he/you will have multiple double and triple contacts on your phone and make a mess. It is best to start from scratch on your phone, set up things (your contacts) the way you want on Gmail THEN sync to your phone. If he has BB contacts, import them to a folder on your computer. If he already started tinkering with contacts on his Android delete them all and start clean. Use this method to delete all contacts:

go to settings> applications> manage applications> Contacts storage>clear data.

Next import your contacts on your computer to Gmail. If you have pictures associated, you can import those or use ones off of your computer to associate the contact. Only when satisfied with how you want your contact list to look, sync your phone to Gmail.

This method will save you a lot of time and anger and get you off to a fresh clean start with your contacts. Learned this the hard way.

6. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Maybe I am too lazy, but I did this in all of four steps assuming you don't count each sub step and click. No way I was re-entering all my contacts into gmail when it will do it for me.

-Put Gapps on the berry.
    -Sync berry contacts and calendar to Gapps.
    (the two above will set your EVO up with contacts and calendar)
    -Put microSD from berry in reader and transfer to PC.
    -Transfer fies from PC to Evo

You do need to do this while the berry is active.

7. kegacide

kegacide Well-Known Member

i just transferred from a curve to an evo and just used google sync... it didn't mix my contacts, and it put them back on my evo in seconds... it was amazingly seemless

8. m6284505

m6284505 Well-Known Member

One more way is to take it to a Sprint store. They have a 'computer thing' that connects almost any other phone to the Evo and transfers all the contacts. They transferred my Curve contacts to my Evo in about 10 seconds (only like 50 contacts).

9. grosser

grosser Active Member This Topic's Starter

When he was at the Sprint store they tried the computer transfer but it wouldn't work. Something in the blackberry was keeping the computer from talking to it. Probably not supposed to be like that, but the phone had a whole slew of problems and that is why he switched to EVO. I just found out that he does use Thunberbird for email and that talked with google and transferred all of his contacts, but he wasn't using the calendar add on, so I am going to have him try that first and hopefully that will solve at least the calendar issue, which is the most important.

10. NexgenWireless

NexgenWireless New Member

I'm trying to help someone go from an 8330 to the EVO, her contacts are already over onto the gmail account but her calendar isnt synced to anything, its just IN her BB. The Curve is no longer active, any advice on how to get the calendar over to the EVO?

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

does the bb calendar have an export feature? if so export the calendar and then use the import feature on gmail from a desktop/laptop online