• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sync direction Outlook calendar to SIII

wunay

Android Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2011
Staffordshire, UK
I use Samsung Kies to synchronise Outlook calendar with my Galaxy Tab 10.1. I had set up in the past for the sync direction to be from Outlook to my SIII but there was a recent update to Kies that I feel has created my problem.
The direction has been sending the Outlook calendar to the SIII and Galaxy Tab and has always worked successfully BUT the last time I synced the direction was reversed from previously the SIII to Outlook, which was a disaster as I had deleted all of the calendar content on the SIII and therefore with the syncing going the other way I was left with a completely empty Outlook calendar which was a catastrophe for me as there were many, many entries within it.

I have now resurrected the Outlook calendar and now wish to synchronise both my Galaxy tab and my Galaxy SIII. I have looked into Kies and cannot locate the syncing direction for the calendar. It does display the syncing direction for Contacts but not the calendar. Any pointers?

It's been discontinued

Google Sync End of Life - Google Apps Help

I use it but I set it up last fall. I'm not sure if it still works for new users if you can find the installer on the internet

Bummer.
I've used it with great success for years. Sorry to see that it's being killed off. However it will continue to function for existing users.

For syncing contacts Outlook Contacts Sync works well for me. There is a free and paid version. Free does pretty much all you need.

Upvote 0
I seem to have been having this same problem, since a month or so ago, I think. I had put it down to my own ineptitude (or because I'd been experimenting with the from and to dates) until I had more time to investigate, but now that I have explored further, I don't think that Kies is doing what it was doing, and purports to do, any more.

I definitely had it working for a while after acquring my phone a few months ago, but the past few times I've tried to sync Outlook to the phone, it seems to have only copied from phone to Outlook and not vice versa.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I'll get back to this thread if I manage to figure it out.

Btw I've used both Kies Lite and the standard Kies.

Upvote 0
Using kies and outlook 2010 and calendar sync is working. Somewhere in kies is an option for direction of syncing and so far it works. I told it to always overwrite the phone. Once in a while wont get an appt to go on phone but resetting the kies sync file fixes that. Got notification of an update to kies today and afraid to fix what apparently ain't broke.

Reactions: seesaw
Upvote 0
I am not trying to persuade anyone that gSyncit is the one and only solution, but since I have tried virtually every solution for this specific problem I think I can say that it is the only comprehensive solution that works flawlessly and you have lifetime updates for free.

It basically enables your mobile device to stay in sync wirelessly through syncing with Google servers (contacts, calendars, notes and tasks) andOutlook doing the same to Google servers. The result being that through this 'conduit solution' the outlook pst file and your device have your personal information always safely stored in the cloud. I often reinstall my PC (spring clean) and never worry about getting my pst data back. As soon as gSyncit is installed and I import my saved settings it starts to do its job.

Reactions: seesaw
Upvote 0
Well, perhaps it was just waiting for me to post a cry for help in the forum before deciding to cooperate... or perhaps there was some issue with the to and from dates I set up. Anyhow, it finally synced everything both ways.

As far as I can see, one can choose "All" (i.e. both ways), or from the device to the phone, but not just from Outlook to the phone. However, I can live with this.

Thanks both of the above for your replies.

I do have the latest updates to all of the software that I know of now, so I don't think there are any bugs in very recent updates.

The reason I've had to persevere with Kies is that I don't use gmail for my primary email and don't use the calendar at all. I have several email addresses feeding into my Outlook, and use the Outlook calendar for everything. I'm not interested in syncing the Contacts at this point because I don't need them all in my phone (although might give it a whirl with the Nexus 7 at some point).

As an aside, can anyone explain exactly what the "sync" option on the S3 calendar (S planner) actually does?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones