• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sync Gmail groups to telephone

chrisi99

Lurker
Jul 14, 2010
Hi there!

I have been using gmail extensively for the last 3 years. I have tons of contacts in many different groups on my account.

If I select the gmail account on my galaxy it does not recognize the groups and it throws all my contacts into one group with the name of my gmail account.

Is there a way (an application) to fix this?

kind regards
Chris

I'm having the same problem.

This is my first time using Android; is the "Contacts" app on the Samsung Captivate the same thing as "People" app I see mentioned online? Places online said the People app lets you choose which groups to sync contacts from (google -> phone). As mentioned by the OP, the Samsung doesn't seem to have an option that allows this.

Can I install the People app on the Samsung, and replace the Samsun version of the same thing ("Contacts")?

Upvote 0
Hi, I have the same problem. Also if I try to create a group on the Galaxy S that's already on my GMail account it won't let me (saying it's already in use) even though it doesn't show it. Groups created on Galaxy S also don't show up on my GMail account.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I can't put any of my GMail account contacts into groups on the phone; they just don't appear when I try, and I don't see any way to mark my GMail contacts as Phone contacts as well!!!

Any ideas anyone? I just got my Galaxy S and whilst it's a fine phone, this contacts thing is really getting to me particularly because from time to time I need to send texts to groups, but if I can't get the groups thing to work properly...grrrr.

Upvote 0
Here's what I've found for what its worth:

If you actually go into the phone, your Google contacts are organized as you would like them (like Favorites and everything). You can use the contacts tab in here for everyone then is there. You can use the menu button to customize. If you long hold on someone's name, it gives you all the options to contact (or you can swipte to the right to call or left to message).

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Here's what I've found for what its worth:

If you actually go into the phone, your Google contacts are organized as you would like them (like Favorites and everything). You can use the contacts tab in here for everyone then is there. You can use the menu button to customize. If you long hold on someone's name, it gives you all the options to contact (or you can swipte to the right to call or left to message).

Hope that helps.

Huh!?

Upvote 0
I've spent most of the day looking because this is very frustrating. I deleted all my contacts in Gmail and imported just in case that help with not luck. In looking around I saw someone mention 'Contact GroupU' and it seems to work pretty good. I just hate all these add ons to get the phone to do what it should have the capabilities in the first place. Why, oh why did they feel that I would have 2 or 3+ contact lists (Phone, SIM, and what ever email contact provider you want). It's a Android phone, so may it easy to sync with my gmail. Maybe they thought I was going to buy an android phone and want to sync with my AOL contacts. :)

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, since switching to the Droid X last month then this week to Samsung Vibrant to save money and its has a way better UI, i discovered that both do NOT have the option to Sync your Gmail groups. (samsung has easy to assign groups only for the new phone contacts, not the gmail list)

Trust me, the "groups" are in the background though - just moto and samsung forgot to allow us to see them. HTC does show groups in its default contacts list and allows you to edit a contact and assign them to one or more gmail groups, or create a new gmail group.

If you download handcent sms for texting, theres a tab for groups and all of your GMAIL groups are there. I would have preferred the native sms to blast to gmail groups, but cant with Moto or Samsung.

I also download aContacts. Like Handcent, aContacts allows you to see all your group members, and call them one at a time instead of searching for one member at a time. Really cool UI, but a little glitchy.

*** Why 3rd party dev can allow us to see our gmail groups, but Moto and Samsung cant with all its resources can't, should be embarassing to them. Now the only thing is missing is how to assign a group to a contact that I just met and entered in my phone. Lets say at a business mtg I met someone and wanted to group them as a "client." Cant do that now. I need to go to gmail, remember to find that contact and add them to the "client" group. If someone has a better solution, please share!!! thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones