Sync Google Apps Without Background DataSupport

Last Updated:

1. mvnjpy

mvnjpy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there, I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this.

I'm using II5 firmware with Galaxo 1.1

None of my google apps seems to ever sync if I turn off background data. It'd be cool if there was a way to let it use background data only when the phone is unlocked, but whatever it's alright.

So, fr gmail you can manually go in and chose to "Refresh", but for Calendar and Contacts there is no way to do this within the app.. Also, it never seems to sync even when you use it for a while.

Has anyone found a way to sync calendar or contacts without turning on background data?

Advertisement
  2. Harmani

Harmani Member

I know everything syncs when you turn on and off the normal sync. You could use a widget to do that.
    Not the best way, but it is a sollution.

3. pegasus21

pegasus21 Well-Known Member

The background data setting is to allow you to control whether apps can access data. Apps can choose not to obey that setting and just access anyway. Unfortunately, Google apps obeys it.

Another thing is that google apps uses a lot of power with a data connection and background data enabled and it hardly sends out any data.

4. mvnjpy

mvnjpy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yes to both replies.

i'd rather keep it off though. it's annoying to have to turn it on everytime you want to sync.

ideally it should happen either:
    1. when you open the app (calendar or contacts)
    2. when your phone is unlocked (but this would kind of mean a 'enable background data only when phone is unlocked' option, which would be cool though)