Sync Hero with mac

Last Updated:

1. JoLev

JoLev New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! :)

I have some questions about syncing my new HTC Hero with my macbook.

1. Can you sync your ical with Android?
    2. Is it possible to sync iTunes with Android?

Any answers is appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. taknil

taknil New Member

To sync your Hero, $Androiddevice with your mac,
    you need to take multiple steps.
    At first be aware that there is no counterpart to HTC Sync on the mac.
    You will sync mostly over the Air. So it is considerably better if you've got a WiFi network near you when doing the folloing:

-Sync contacts :you will sync up your contacts to google with your mac addressbook. If you've got an iPod touch or iPhone, things are easy. Mac OS X's Address Book Can Now Sync Google Contacts (Update: For iPhone Owners Only, UGH) - Address Book - Lifehacker
    Else you need a lite workarround. Also OS X Leopard 10.5.3+ is required.
    For Thunderbird contacst see: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/7307

-Sync callender: you will sync your callendar to google.
    Here is how Google

3. fivebass52

fivebass52 Well-Known Member

I was about to post a similar question and found this thread. I'll try what you suggest, and will most likely have more questions regarding syncing... have you any further info on getting iTunes into my Sprint Hero?

4. gutlessyogi

gutlessyogi Member

hi
    to add music you need to mount the phone on the mac desktop by using the usb connection. open notifications and tap usb connected then mount. See section 1.12 of the manual. If you don;t have it, get it. RTFM is the only way ;-)
    Drag music files to the MP3 folder on the phone's sd card. Which is only 2gb :mad:

unmount in notifications and the music files will show up in the music app.

Wow! iphone is way better but this will improve as people build apps to use the open api.

5. gutlessyogi

gutlessyogi Member

6. mobilemike01

mobilemike01 Well-Known Member

MissingSync from markspace.com is another great option. Though it is $40, its worth it if you need it.

7. newgalois

newgalois New Member

I had the same problem and found some solutions:

DoubleTwist:
    Pro:
    + do the job well.
    Con:
    + organize the music into Artist/Album/... structure, hence creating thousands of folders on my device.
    + is not compatible with other players on Android. It doesn't output m3u files, so playlist will only work on DoubleTwist player on your device. If you have another favorite player (like Cube, PowerAmp, Meridian, etc.) like I do, this is a deal breaker.

Sailing Media Sync:
    Pro:
    + do the job OK (read Con for why)
    + output m3u files, so it works with most players
    Con:
    + organize the music into Artist/Album/... structure (as above)
    + the free version would erase your /music folder and re-copy all the files every time you sync, making it very slow. The paid version, which sync "smartly" comes with a ridiculous cost: more than $20.

So, I was left to come up with my own solution. I wrote a program that have all the features I wanted, which are:
    + store all the files in the same folder
    + output playlist in m3u files
    + sync smartly

You can try it at FloatSync: Sync your iTunes media to your phones. It's an open source program, so if you like, you can change it whatever way you want it. Otherwise, you can leave a comment on the page. I'll add features if there're enough requests.

I think syncing media is one of the most important things the device/OS manufacturers should think about. So I hope Google would provide a good solution soon. In the mean time, I hope this help a bit.

8. Alex Taylor

Alex Taylor Well-Known Member

1. yes, it is possible. Check out SyncMate - it can sync contacts and calendars between Mac and Android for free.
    2. yes, this is also possible. This option is offered in SyncMate Expert.