1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Sync Outlook without MS Exchange

Last Updated:

1. kathryn91

kathryn91 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone! Let me first say that I LOVE my new Droid 2. I know this topic has been brought up a lot, and I've read the posts and researched on the Internet but I still haven't been able to find the answer.

1) I am looking for the best way to sync my Outlook with my Droid 2. I am a single user, don't have MS Exchange or Google Apps. I want to be able to update both in Outlook and on my Droid and have them sync.... with the least amount of problems and applications.

I don't mind paying a (moderate) fee, but it seems like TouchDown and some of the other recommended apps require MS Exchange.

2) If I do need MS Exchange, what's the best way for me to do that?

3) I remember reading that the upcoming Droid Pro (for Verizon) will have the inherent ability to sync Outlook and the Droid (I'm not positive but I believe it will) - does this mean that there will be a 3rd party application, or an update to Froyo 2.2, that will be released afterward to allow this with other Droids?

ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated. I've spent hours and hours trying to come up with a solution (as I know others have), and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

I am leaving on a trip in a few days and I have to get my Outlook synced before I leave... I'm desperate. :)

Thanks!
    Kathryn

Advertisement
  2. david_inuk

david_inuk Well-Known Member

Gsyncit is more or less the only simple way of doing it.

It syncs everything up to google and as long as you use your google account and select everything to sync, everything will work...

Don't use HTC sync. It has the ability to mess up your contacts and prevent you from sending them emails!

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

From what I've seen the reason you're not finding a clear "best" is that there isn't one. Every solution I've read about has it's issues. If you're ok with syncing to a Google account that then syncs with your device then gsyncit would be a good approach. There are other sync solutions such as CompanionLink out there but I have yet to see any that get stellar comments across the board.

Apps like Touchdown are Exchange clients and, yes, they do require Exchange. Getting Exchange really isn't a moderate fee. You can opt for hosted Exchange but that typically runs $10-$20/month and you have to migrate your email account to the hosted Exchange service. It's not a practical solution IMO really unless you're looking for all the features of Exchange.

What data do you specifically need? I'd recommend allocating more time for looking into a solution. I know for contacts you can export to CSV from Outlook and then import to your Google account. I'm not sure if you can do this for your calendar or any other data though. This isn't a sync solution but it may get you what you need for your trip.