• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sync phone contact to gmail?

RED_

Nov 13, 2010
London
This is doing my head in, My dads just got a new Samsung Galaxy SII that he wants to stick his contacts onto from his old desire so i checked his contacts on the desire and they are all saved to the phone not gmail.

Now i'm finding out that now they have been created as phone contacts they cannot be synced with gmail..? Is this true because that would be a right pain in the arse.

I can't find a way to convert a phone contact into a gmail contact. Surely there is a way? I want to get him into the habit of syncing with gmail hence why i want this so that its sorted for life as everything is in the cloud. Any solutions?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: *** ****, everytime ive posted a help thread the fast few times i have, i've found the answer just a little bit after, so yeah, i did it by exporting my phone contacts to my SD card then connect the phone to a pc and import them to to gmail. Now i have to find a way to delete his desire from the android market so then apps will sync to his new phone.

This is doing my head in, My dads just got a new Samsung Galaxy SII that he wants to stick his contacts onto from his old desire so i checked his contacts on the desire and they are all saved to the phone not gmail.

Now i'm finding out that now they have been created as phone contacts they cannot be synced with gmail..? Is this true because that would be a right pain in the arse.

I can't find a way to convert a phone contact into a gmail contact. Surely there is a way? I want to get him into the habit of syncing with gmail hence why i want this so that its sorted for life as everything is in the cloud. Any solutions?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: God dammit, everytime ive posted a help thread the fast few times i have, i've found the answer just a little bit after, so yeah, i did it by exporting my phone contacts to my SD card then connect the phone to a pc and import them to to gmail. Now i have to find a way to delete his desire from the android market so then apps will sync to his new phone.

Glad you sorted the contacts issue. As far as your market account is concerened, at present, you cannot delete the desire from the market account but you can stop it from showing in menus by going to "My Library" > "Purchase History" > "Settings" and then edit the device. Here you can also add your dad's new device. When done the settings tab will show now two devices, the desire (hidden in menus) and the Galaxy SII. Until, and if ever, Google make changes to incorporate a delete function we all will be stuck with this untidy arrangement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones