Sync phone contacts with gmail?Support

Last Updated:

1. kkwus74

kkwus74 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For the life of me ,how do i sync contacts the are in my evo(saved under phone) to save in under gmail contacts in android?if its saved under phone,it will not sync with gmail.......:(....any help much appreciated......Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Velocd

Velocd Well-Known Member

When I created my contacts I had set them up as google contacts so I am just taking a guess here. Can't you edit the contact type and tell it to be a google contact instead of a phone contact. It should auto sync then,

3. kkwus74

no...it doesnt give me the option to edit the contact type:(

4. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I also made the mistake of saving my contacts to phone instead of gmail, and can't seem to figure out how to change/sync either.:(

5. trife

trife Well-Known Member

when i add a contact it does give the option of saving as a google contact. thats what i been doing. never had to convert them. in contact there is a link icon in the upper right corner. try there? mine says google there

6. kkwus74

yep when you add a contact it gives you an option to choose...but if you chose phone and save,it doesn give you an option to change it after that.......

7. tryandls

tryandls New Member

From People - Menu - View. Check Phone and uncheck Google. Then Export to SD card. This creates a vcf file of all the phone contacts.

Go back to View and uncheck Phone and check Google. Then Import from SD card. This imports the vcf file back in under Google.

You may have some duplicates if contacts were in both places. You can simply delete them. You should then be able to sync with GMail.

Once this is done, you should be able to also go back to Menu - View and reverse the check marks again and delete all the entries under Phone since they're now under Google too. Then uncheck Phone and recheck Google, so going forward you're only dealing w/Google contacts.

If you run into problems, you still have the vcf file on your SD card if you need to re-import.

asyrafwa likes this.
  8. BenW

BenW Member

The method tryandls outlined is what I used. I bought my Evo in a Sprint store, and they migrated the contacts from my Nextel phone as part of the service, but did so as phone, not Google contacts.

Exporting and importing did the trick, though I did have quite a few dupes that I had to delete, and in some cases move some info from the deleted contact to the kept contact.