Sync questions

Last Updated:

1. elvis80

elvis80 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not that impressed with the HTC Sync (it's slow and there's no bluetooth). I've read a little bit about sync'ing with Google, but I'm not clear on a couple of things:
    1) Will it require an app for the Hero to sync them 'live'.
    2) What is 'cloud' - the stuff I've read keeps mentioning it.
    3) I've found Google Calendar Sync, but how would I sync my contacts? The only thing I've found that will sync all of outlook is a Google Sync Premiere programme that is costly and aimed at businesses.
    Cheers in advance

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Nope, it does it 'out-of-the-box'.

Basically a fancy name for storing 'stuff' remotely and having real-time access to it. Make a change to data at one end and it's automatically replicated at the other, no user-intervention required.

I exported contacts from Outlook as a CSV file and imported that into Google Mail. Then I set up my sync options on the Hero (Settings - Data synchronisation - Google) and within seconds my contacts were listed in the handset.

In People - Groups - Menu - Sync groups you can choose which 'groups' of contacts you wish to sync; you can only manage groups via the Google Mail web interface though.

HTH

3. elvis80

Okay now I understand. Perfect explanation, thanks. I'd been looking for an app called 'cloud' *facepalm*. Thanks.

4. elvis80

Hi, I've been trying your suggestion, but I've hit a stumbling block. I have managed to export / import my contacts from Outlook to Google Mail and I've managed to sync my Outlook calendar (using Google Calendar Sync) with Google Calendar. However, I haven't managed to get my HTC Hero to mirror / sync with Google Calendar. I've clicked on 'Calendar / Menu / Calendars' and selected my Google log-in calendar, but it's not up-dating live / in the cloud (even though it's switched on in Menu / Data Synchronization / Google - all of which I've tried turning off and on again). Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated as it's really getting in the way of my work now.

Thanks in advance