• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sync to pc and print, non web

Hi sorry if this has come up before, I am trying to evaluate going over from WM to andriod, Now I don't know much about how it all works but can I ask is it possible to sync with my Outlook files, calender etc to my PC via usb without going through a web connection, I've used "my Phone", a disaster, my work is in psychological heath so my data is sensitive, I also have need for my paper files to print sms data, wipe my phone remotely if lost, encryption, oh and is it any good as a phone, touchscreen typing texts.:thinking::eek:

It's interesting that my questions have no answers or suggestions, this largely confirms my research thus far, but I had hoped that this forum with so many focused andriod users may have helped to point me in a direction, are there any developers who are working in any way toward my needs because at the moment it looks like windows phone 7 is going exclusively net base, iphone also, sony x10 and google all seem to be opting for web based backup restore, photos etc, etc so it seems that those of us who cannot/not allowed to have on line storge systems are left with old out dated operating systems.

Upvote 0
I'm currently working on an App called Droid PhoneControl. It's really new and it's feature are currently limited. But you can use it already to share files over a private WLan with your desktop using drag'n drop. Also I integrated already other controlling features (probably not what you are looking for).

Although it looks that the data is going through the web, this is not true, because all transfers takes place at your home WLan (typically it won't work either over 3G because providers typically place them behind a NAT). The Java Applet is only downloaded to the browser (I used this to make Updates fully automatic), but you may also download the jar manually and execute it offline by a simple doubleclick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones