Sync w/MacBook Pro & List Pro

Last Updated:

1. porthos7

porthos7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on synching with a MacBook Pro? Also wanted to know if anyone uses or has an app for lists. Used to use ListPro with my Pocket Pc, and would like to have an app for all of my lists. New to all of this, so thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. ndp506

ndp506 Active Member

i've been struggling with this as well... i ended up using Parallels desktop and using that for syncing, but i really only sync to use fresh pre kitchen...

3. porthos7

does parallels work pretty well? I am new to the mac as well as the hero.

4. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

I use Syncmate with my imac. Its $39 for the "expert" mode that lets you have access to your photos, music etc...but if you just want contacts and calendar, thats free.

http://mac.eltima.com/sync-mac.html

5. porthos7

awesome, thank you!

6. fivebass52

fivebass52 Well-Known Member

7. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

8. ndp506

ndp506 Active Member

parallels works very well... it's just, i rooted my phone and flashed fresh 1.1 on it and i can't use the wifi tether even if i am using parallels for windows, for some reason the parallels windows can't see my systems bluetooth capabilities

9. porthos7

like the double twist idea, but will it sync cal/contacts?

10. porthos7

hey, jut looking at sync mate site, and noticed that sprint htc hero is not in the "supported" list. Will it still work?

11. rlundeen

rlundeen Member

Parallels runs very well on MAC. I use it to run both XP and Windows 7. Also, a free alternative would be Sun's Virtual Box. As for syncing contacts and such to the phone, the only thing I know that will do that well on Mac is Missing Sync I used it with my Treo and had great success with it. Double Twist will sync just media (music and pics), as well as Salling Media Sync. For contacts and Calendar, I use Google Contacts and Google Calendar as my main repository of information. These will sync automatically to the phone. To sync the Google calendar and contacts to Address Book and iCal on the mac, I use Spanning Sync. There is a free alternative to this I believe. You can find it by googleing. I found it a pain to set up though. And if you use Gmail and want an alternative to the Mail.app on Mac, look at MailPlane. It basically wraps mail.google.com into an app wrapper on the desktop and allows you the best of both worlds. Hope this helps and wasn't too overwhelming.

12. porthos7

WOW! It is overwhelming, but i'm not bitching about it! I have Parallels on the mac, but have never used it (used mac given from a friend who upgraded). Is there something special I have to do to use it? Also, would I use the same program to open a word doc that is sent to me? Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

13. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

Yes, it will.

14. rlundeen

rlundeen Member

Porthos, to use Parallels, you don't have to do anything special, other than have a gues OS (like windows) installed. Check with the friend who gave it to you, he may have included that. To open Word docs on a Mac, you can use the Mac version of MS Office.... or use the alternatives like Neo Office, or OpenOffice.ORG

15. porthos7

thank you - if you could see me I am on the floor on my knees bowing over and over - new to all of this, love it, but overwhelming!!

16. Still

Still New Member

It is free while beta! I bet it will be paid after the release. I use syncmate too. Yes, it is paid, but with syncmate you can sync all the devices you might have with your Mac. And syncmate free version allows syncing contacts and calendar (unlike double twist).
    And they offer Mac to Android sync - via google account only - but this option is free.

17. porthos7

am trying sync-mate, but seem to be having trouble adding contact info into events when it syncs - i.e. contact john smith b-day is today, but does not show on google calendar - all of his other info is there, just not in calendar. Is this a google prob, or a phone prob (or user prob!) - just curious. On a similar note, is there an app to alert with b-days?