• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sync with Outlook

they don't need to be. they are both connecting to the same server. if the email is on the server, then the email is on the droid and in outlook. if the email is not on the server, it shouldn't show up on the droid or in outlook. Outlook and the DROID do not need to be aware of each other.
I think you are missing the OP's original issue. They don't "need to be aware of each other" for receiving mail. Like you said, if it's on the server, it will show up on the device. But once they are on the device (and off the server after one day), deleting from one device (Droid) won't propograte a delete to the other device (Outlook) and vice versa. This is the OPs problem. His original method wasn't a true a sync so although mail would leave the server as he desired, it doesn't propograte deletions across the clients. Hence IMAP or exchange.

Upvote 0
I think you are missing the OP's original issue. They don't "need to be aware of each other" for receiving mail. Like you said, if it's on the server, it will show up on the device. But once they are on the device (and off the server after one day), deleting from one device (Droid) won't propograte a delete to the other device (Outlook) and vice versa. This is the OPs problem. His original method wasn't a true a sync so although mail would leave the server as he desired, it doesn't propograte deletions across the clients. Hence IMAP or exchange.

ahh...ok. I understand now.

Upvote 0
Again, you are all way too smart for me. I don't have any idea what OP is, and I don't know if that's relevant.

I'm trying this imap thing and this is how I understand it:

1. mail hits imap.gmail.com (or 1and1)
  2. Droid checks at set interval, and obtains mail from imap.gmail.com
  3. Outlook checks at set interval, and obtains mail from imap.gmail.com
  4. I delete mail, on either Droid or Outlook.
  5. When Droid or Outlook check imap.gmail.com, they tell it the mail has been deleted.
  6. When the other device, from which I DID NOT delete the email checks imap.gmail.com, it will discover that the mail is no longer there, and will delete it from that device, which I DID NOT use to delete it.

Have I understood?

Upvote 0
tsaunders,

That comment goes to the heart of my conflict. We can put a man on the moon. We can hit a missle with another missle, while in flight! My son can waste 60% of his life making little knights fight little dragons and they look real. But, I can't push one delete button and get an email deleted from my computer and my phone. That ain't right.

I can easily delete it from Outlook and my Droid separately. I don't want to and I don't think that's too much to ask. I have to assume it's my lack of know how, but I can't be the only one to have noticed this difficulty.

Upvote 0
crankerchick,

It does seem to be working. I'm deleting the email that notified me of this post and doing it on my Droid. It is sitting there in my Outlook inbox and I'm not going to manually delete it there. Hopefully, it will discover that it's supposed to be deleted.

Unfortunately, I now have 3 inboxes in Outlook to check, so I don't know if I've gained anything.

Upvote 0
Ah well, if I remember correctly, I don't think an IMAP account is allowed to be the primary account in outlook, so your inbox under 'personal folders' is probably empty (or is still your old pop account if you didn't delete it).

The other 2 are your two IMAP accounts.

Note that since your IMAP accounts are not the primary email accounts, outlook won't give the nice little translucent notification when new mail is received.

Upvote 0
To me Google Apps with Outlook support is the only way to go but costs $50/year. I forward all my mail accounts there and use Outlook on the desktop. Everything syncs perfectly I never have to plug my phone in except for charging. I am on my second 30 day trial so have not paid yet. You must have a domain though or can by one from Google for $10.

Upvote 0
tsaunders,

That comment goes to the heart of my conflict. We can put a man on the moon. We can hit a missle with another missle, while in flight! My son can waste 60% of his life making little knights fight little dragons and they look real. But, I can't push one delete button and get an email deleted from my computer and my phone. That ain't right.

I can easily delete it from Outlook and my Droid separately. I don't want to and I don't think that's too much to ask. I have to assume it's my lack of know how, but I can't be the only one to have noticed this difficulty.

First of all LMFAO!!!!!!! I love your post!

OK, now that THAT's out of the way. I am connected to a hosted exchange server from my office and my DROID... when I delete an email on my DROID, it deleted on the server hence withing about a minute it's gone from my inbox in outlook as well. And the reverse is also true.

MY only qualm is how the Android version of the exchange client handles folders.... I would love to be able to say, "Sync the following folders all the time and display a message when there is new email in these folders". This is useful because I have sevelal server side rules that move emails to some of my folders (eg, from My Boss, My wife, My girlfriend, etc).

Upvote 0
rjoudrey,
I'm willing to pay $50 a year to seamlessly sync outlook, but it looks like I don't have to. THe imap appears to do that, at no extra charge. My test worked, I deleted an email on my Droid and it disappeared from my inbox.

Jugo:

I don't know what LMFAO means, but I'm glad it amused you. I don't need to know either, by the way. I think that crankerchick and the others got me dialed in pretty good. I hate having to check 3 inboxes in Outlook, but that is a fight for another day.

It's funny to me how this tech thing works. I use a software called Xactimate in my work. Tech support can tell me all about folders and database exchanges, and import/export, bits and bytes. But they don't have any idea how to produce work product with their software. They've never done it, not even once. (I do sort of like calling tech support of any kind though. I am the most average guy on the planet, except when I call tech support, I have alway invented a problem never before seen since the dawn of man.)

Upvote 0
First of all LMFAO!!!!!!! I love your post!

OK, now that THAT's out of the way. I am connected to a hosted exchange server from my office and my DROID... when I delete an email on my DROID, it deleted on the server hence withing about a minute it's gone from my inbox in outlook as well. And the reverse is also true.

MY only qualm is how the Android version of the exchange client handles folders.... I would love to be able to say, "Sync the following folders all the time and display a message when there is new email in these folders". This is useful because I have sevelal server side rules that move emails to some of my folders (eg, from My Boss, My wife, My girlfriend, etc).

And it works fine with Exchange, but the OP is not using Exchange.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure that you can do that in Outlook. In its stock configuration, only the Inbox gives a new message indication. However, I do think that you can write rules that will pop up notifications for new mail in non-inbox folders as a result of rules that moved messages from the inbox to those folders in the first place.

I'd give it a tad of time. The strange thing about Android is that programmers seem to build stuff the minute it's requested. I've noticed with many apps that the guys seem to release updates every week!

Upvote 0
My test worked, I deleted an email on my Droid and it disappeared from my inbox.
Glad you were able to get IMAP set up successfully. Regarding 3 inboxes, like I said before, I suspect the inbox under your 'personal' folders isn't one that needs to be checked. It is either, your old POP account, which you can delete, or it is just an empty inbox not set to receive any mail. It stays there because outlook makes it stay there because it won't allow an IMAP account as the primary account. That inbox is the one that physically resides on your computer in the outlook pst file.

Upvote 0
tsaunders,

Chris, I bought my Milestone Droid 2 weeks ago, and I have exactly the same problem you describe. I considered returning the Milestone, but have decided to hang in there in the hope some brilliant, non-partisan person will develop a Outlook (yes, it's only a mail client) sync interface for the Droid that can deal with pop mail and have Google and Microsoft play together in the same sand box, so I don't to subscribe to yet another mail service when the majority of email users use Outlook (with Exchange, pop, imap, whatever) ... now let's all pray for a bit of good luck o_0

Upvote 0
I would like to sync with my Outlook. When I delete a: calendar, email, contact on my phone (or on the computer), I would like the same action to occur on the other device.

It seems this is impossible. Am I correct?
Try DejaOffice from Companion Link software (CL USB is what I use). It ain't perfect, but it's pretty close to synching Outlook like Palm would synch with Palm Desktop, and you don't have to upload all your info to Google servers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones