sync your music collection to android

Last Updated:

1. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok before you start salivating and jumping up and down like a hysterical clown, read the following disclaimer

"At the moment you can not do this, but very soon you will. In fact it is being developed as we speak"

Still interested? Read on

Mozilla, our (second) favourite web browser has had an open source media library and player for some time ( called songbird ). The interface looks cunningly similar to i-tunes, and keeping in tradition with mozilla's theme and addon creation the plugins, themes and addons are pouring in.

Support for extrnal USB devices like mp3 players, cellphones and PDA's is coming very soon, in the next development phase. Which means one thing for you and me, the ability to sync our media collection with our G1's

Keep an eye on songbird, it could be the answer to some of our wishes

Advertisement
  2. Ageless Stranger

...or if you have a mac or run linux this already does the work for you

3. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

This is good news. Banshee has got their osx version done but still no windows version:confused: What I really want is full automation. So when I plug in my g1 everything syncs without any input from me. I really don't see the point of having to mount my g1.

4. Ageless Stranger

i seem to have double posted a thread, can a mod merge or remove the other one please?

sorry

5. ChicagoPete

ChicagoPete Member

MediaMonkey already has the ability to sync with the G1. The software recognizes the phone as a mass storage device once you mount the SD card and uses the Device ID on the phone to differentiate the G1 from other mass storage devices. Then you can set up whatever media files you want to sync to the G1 automatically, just as you would any other PMP.

This can all be done with the free version.

Adad likes this.
  6. Ageless Stranger

Nice find, shame the good features aren't free and double shame its windows only. I might have to give it a try on my win 7 box to see how it fares. Cheers :)

7. Ageless Stranger

Banshee have a Linux version, Ive been playing around with it a bit. I'm sure you can download the source and use cygwin to compile it for windows.

8. ChicagoPete

ChicagoPete Member

The free version is actually quite robust (here's the comparison) and does pretty much everything I need it to do. I will say that I don't use it for playing back audio, as I have a Roku SoundBridge hooked up to my stereo system for that. I use it only for ripping, organizing, tagging, burning, and syncing my collection.

I can understand the disappointment regarding the lack of multi-platform support, but "I'm a PC" and it doesn't impact me :)

Good luck on your search for your perfect solution!

9. willamlholla

willamlholla Member

wtf...does anybody know how to patch or have the patch so the phone will show up cuz i've been look'n for the past 3 hours....AAAHHHH

10. derkk

derkk Active Member

Does this sync playlists? That's my biggest problem. I can my music over fine, but can't get my playlists to transfer. It's a pain the arse trying to create playlists within Android.

11. ChicagoPete

ChicagoPete Member

I seem to remember a setting in the device options menu regarding playlists, but I'm not sure. I don't use playlists, so I can't be very helpful, sorry.

12. Ageless Stranger

The only one thing stopping me from getting Media Monkey is the lack of genre support in the free version. I got very pedantic with my music collection and organised everything into genre/artist/album order

13. JosephMeyer

JosephMeyer Member

I have been able to sync using Windows Media Player, but it is scarcely flawless. I don't expect to get album artwork, but about half of the files are unplayable--get the error message "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file." Trying to play a specific track from "Songs" is totally random.

Not quite there, I'd say. But then, we live in a beta universe now, don't we?

14. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

I am sorry but MediaMonkey is very poor. It will only put your songs on the root of your SD card no matter what settings you have in MM. I contacted their support and they responded saying that its a known but they won't have time to address it.

15. BirdieMN

BirdieMN Active Member

That's not true at all. You just have to adjust where you want the files sent in the device configuration on MediaMonkey.

16. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

No matter what setting I use it will always put my music on the root of my SD card. Support told me this is a known issue. Say what you want but by their own accord theyadmit its a problem

17. drmcstford

drmcstford New Member

18. LastFrontierLabs

LastFrontierLabs Well-Known Member

I used Salling Software to sync.

19. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

20. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

DoubleTwist sucked just a wee bit for me as it wouldn't ever get all the music; Drag & drop works GREATEST for me;)

21. arglebargle

arglebargle Member

I followed the instructions on the MM thread posted earlier, it synced fine. But I am getting the 'Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file' message.

The music, playlists and album art copied over, but it cannot be played.

Edit to add.. all mp3s of varying bit rates but nothing fancy

22. Super Noob

Super Noob Well-Known Member

I've used MediaMonkey for a good while, it used to be recommended alot on the anythingbutipod forum.

Anyway, I don't use it to sync it up because I've always used the drag-n-drop method, but Mediamonkey started supporting Android phones last year.

I plugged in my Evo, then set connection type as "Disk Drive".
    I then started MM, and saw the android drive on the right-hand side. Right-click it and choose "configure device" and go from there.

MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter

23. donjazzy

donjazzy Member

doubletwist works like magic and it automates quite a bit for you.

24. gerberman

gerberman Well-Known Member

I use tunesync which syncs with Itunes playlists over wifi

25. load97

load97 Well-Known Member

I might have to try that app.