Synching a hotmail account with the phone

Last Updated:

1. olthefish

olthefish Member This Topic's Starter

Hi chaps, really hope you can help!

Basically I'm not a great techno lad, although I wish I was - I'm trying to arrange so that I can view my hotmail on my phone? I'm guessing it has something to do with the screen with the sort of blank white canvas with two tabs underneath it - a pencil & 3 horizontal lines?!

When you press on it it brings up the screen 'Choose a mail provider' with two options of 'Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync & Other (POP3/IMAP). Both options have thwarted my attempts and to be honest i've no real idea what i'm doing.

I've synched the phone with my outlook CALENDAR at work, but not the emails - again no idea how to do that! I have set my phone gmail up fine, but a blindfolded crippled donkey could do that.

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Ol

Advertisement
  2. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

The pop3 settings are as follows:

Hotmail POP3 and SMTP Settings

---
    POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
    POP SSL required? Yes
    User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
    Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
    SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25) {Note: If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the client in use}
    Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
    TLS/SSL required? Yes
    ---

Once this is setup, your emails will download to your phone. Hopefully this is what you need! :)

3. olthefish

you absolute legend, if it works...i can't really offer much in return but my unconditional thanks!!!

4. olthefish

it's worked!! thanks so much!

5. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

No problems! Glad it helped. :)

6. olthefish

any reason why not everything in the inbox shows up only unread messsages? same for the other folders - nothing in them. Is this just because the phone thinks the account has been set up as of now, and so those are the first emails coming in?

Also, if i delete from the phone they are still in the internet inbox?

7. topcorner

topcorner Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I want to know as well.

8. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath Member

Oo how clever, i always thought you couldn't synch a hotmail account onto phones?!

9. olthefish

Were not getting very far here people!

10. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I hope I can clarify this. Using Hotmail on an Android phone you have to use POP3 mail. What this does is check the mailbox at set frequencies (I think Hotmail limit it to no more than every fifteen minutes going by the error logs in K-9 Mail) and if there is new mail then it downloads a copy to your phone.

It leaves a copy on Hotmail, but doesn't mark that as read or anything, so when you next go to Hotmail or sync with Outlook or Windows Live Mail, you still see those new messages.

Outlook/Windows Live Mail are actually displaying the Hotmail mailbox as it is at Hotmail. Your phone is making a copy of new email and downloading it to the phone.

So it's not really SYNC as such - there's no way to do that with Hotmail.

Similarly, if you SEND an email via your Hotmail account using your phone, that sent email will be in the sent items folder on the phone and NOT in the sent items on Hotmail's servers.

clatl likes this.
  11. olthefish

Thought it might be something like that!thanks a bunch for clearing it up!

12. mez

mez Well-Known Member

just to also point out if sending mail to someone which you need to also have a copy of, or prove you sent I've started cc ing myself on the emails. It might already be on my phone sent box but if I wipe or reset It could cause problems if I lose messages from my phone.

Also you can. Set up more then 1 hotmail account. I currently have 2.

The settings In each mailbox let you decide how many messages come through can choose by num of days or num of messages.

The option to delete messages off the server doesn't really work, I wouldn't suggest using it.

clatl likes this.