• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Synching Facebook Contacts without using Full Names

Becantor

Lurker
Dec 21, 2009
I'm all about being able to link a contact to their facebook page which shows their pics, etc.

However, I have only been able to link a contact to a facebook contact by entering their full name.

I have many contacts that I have as nicknames or as Bank Erica, if it's Erica from the bank....

Is there a way to link 'Bank Erica' to her actual 'Erica Bxxxx' facebook page? I would assume that you could use email to do this, but have not found a way.

Please advise if there is something I am missing or if there is an app that fixes this.

I don't think so. I had the same problem. I had to change a lot of my contacts' names in order to get their Facebook profiles to populate on the phone itself.

I thought entering a nickname would fix this. I assumed that the nickname would trump the given name and display that on your phone, for instance when that person calls or texts you, and preferably in the contact list. It seems, though, that nicknames are completely useless and do absolutely nothing except waste a space in the contact info. I'm not sure why they're even there.

A little bit strange/disappointing, but I got over it.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can now do this. Free. You'll need Asurion AddressBook, with its FaceBook mix-in, both available in the Market (as of last week). I posted about this earlier. Run a search here for asurion to get links to screenies. Don't remember whether I posted to this app forum or the Droid forum.

Your device must run 1.6 or 2.x to run this new app.

Caveats: this is a beta deal. I've found that the addressbook itself runs smooth, so it lives on my home screen. But when FB does its periodic background sync, it becomes a force close party. Ditto the Twitter mix-in. Doesn't stop anything else on the device, but it's an inconvenient pain.

The good news: Once you load both parts (AddressBook and its FaceBook mix-in), you can use the menu to MANUALLY "match" up your FB contacts with your pre-existing phone contacts, withOUT changing any names. The screen is split, with each list appearing on either side. You just scroll thru each list, literally single-tap on the left, and then its matching on the right, and it's done. There's also an automated process, which is safe-- in the sense that (1) you tell the app whether to keep your Droid contact pics, or overwrite (it'll add FB pics where no pic has been assigned); and (2) if mismatches occur, it's super easy to correct, using the manual method previously described.

I repeat: I use AddressBook daily and love it. BUT I had to disable the dang background sync. It just ain't ready for prime time. That sync lives to bring your friends' recent posts within the app. So, tapping the new F icon, within a particular contact's screen, shows that person's recent posts. The weird part is, despite the FCs, somehow, the sync still works well enough to get the updated posts. I just grew tired of having to tap the FC/close-it button on a regular basis. (You can change the sync timespan though to make the FCs less frequent.)

Droid 2.0.1. Check user comments at the market for info re your particular device.

Upvote 0
I had tried that before.

1) I set them up with Given and Family name.
2) Their facebook icon appears along with email
3) I delete the Given and FIrst name and enter a nickname.
4) The nickname shows but within a min or two, the facebook icon is gone...(email still shows...)

Did you turn off some 'auto-sync' feature that prevented it from resynching after you delete the first and last name?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones