Synching Google contacts but not FBSupport

Last Updated:

1. coronos

coronos Member

When I got my N4 I synched it with my Google account (contacts and calendar)--no problems.

Now I have installed the Facebook App but I don't want any contacts from this account on my phone. I turned off auto synching to prevent this, but it also affects my Google account.

If I go to the phone Settings->Accounts, I can select my FB account or Google account, but the only option there is to manually sync.

If I go to my contacts (now "People"), there are shortcuts to the manual syncing process above, and a checkbox to enable Auto-sync, but again, it switches for both my Google and FB accounts. Is there no way to Auto-sync one without the other?

2. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

don't use FB// prob. solved
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I believe stock jellybean doesn't have the ability to sync contacts with facebook. This feature was removed with the introduction of ICS(4.0). Running a custom rom that has rebuilt this feature into will allow it, but since you don't want it this shouldn't be an issue.
  4. coronos

coronos Member

This has definitely crossed my mind as a real option, but I'm not ready . . . yet.

So in theory I should be able to press "sync now" in FB account settings and nothing happens? Has anyone tested this? I don't particuarly want hundreds of "contacts" that I only talk to through FB, suddenly overflowing my phonebook! :(
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Even if it does overflow your people app (contacts) you can restrict which contacts are visible based on their source. You do this by opening the people app, tapping options and the top option let's you check or uncheck sources.
  6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You need a third party app to sync Facebook stuff, such as Haxsync or Contact Sync for Facebook
  7. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

I got tired of the slow Facebook app. It's gotten huge too. Every update seems to be a crap shoot.

I switched to just using the mobile web site. The only downside I've run across is that it's an extra step to share a picture. You can't just select a picture and share it directly from the gallery, you need to use the website buttons to then select a picture.

Oh and of course you won't have a FB widget.

But I've been much happier with it, it's generally faster than the app anyway. Just create a bookmark in your browser and go for it. No risk of having your contacts get synced either.
  8. coronos

coronos Member

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions!
  9. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

It was actually removed in Gingerbread for Nexus devices.

That is correct, nothing will happen.
    coronos and jhawkkw like this.