• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Synchronising with Outlook calendar - too many 'detours'

lietchi

Lurker
May 22, 2012
I've been using my Xperia Mini Pro for a couple of months now, my first experience with an Android phone, and I'm quite happy. Except one issue that is annoying me more and more: synchronising Outlook with my phone.

My 'main' calender is on my Outlook at work, which I synchronise with my cell phone using Sony PC Companion.
My first (unpleasant) discovery: I cannot sync directly between Outlook and my cell phone, I have to sync with Gmail as an intermediate. Which I could live with, if not for the following extra constraints:
- my desktop needs an internet connection to synchronise (not usually a problem, unless we have network issues) AND my phone needs to be connected by cable
- after synchronising with Sony PC companion, my cell phone still isn't up to date, despite being connected by cable to my desktop computer: I have to connect my phone to a wireless internet connection to (presumably) synchronise my cell phone with my gmail calender online. And since I do not have wireless at work, I need to first go home and turn on our wireless router to do that (I'm not willing to pay internet connection charges to synchronise my own data).

Quite frankly, this is a crappy system. All I want is to connect my phone to my computer and immediately have an up-to-date calendar on my cell phone.

Do any of you know any 'miracle' solutions (free of charge)? Either by bypassing Gmail, being able to connect my cell phone to the internet through the USB cable instead of wireless, etc.?

I tried connecting with the debugging on and off, and I also tried switching USB connection mode, MTP or MSC (I don't have a "charge only" mode), but no luck...

My last resort will be trying to connect via bluetooth, but for that I first have to find my dongle (fingers crossed).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones