Syncing Android Contacts With GMail

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

When you get a new phone - or a new service provider for that matter - one of the most annoying things in the world is making sure your contacts are up to date. The Official Google Mobile Blog made a post today explaining how Android syncs your contacts with GMail to ensure the most [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Huey Freeman

Huey Freeman Well-Known Member

But is there any easy way yo get my sidekick contacts to my G1.. I've seen no light at the end of that tunnel..

3. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

Can't you just take them over on the SIM card?

4. Huey Freeman

Yea I suppose.. but thats annoying as hell when u have contacts with multiple numbers.. they all save individually. Will they consolidate once they've been transfered to the new phone?

5. gtd3

gtd3 Well-Known Member

I doubt it, iv had trouble tranfering with outlook because of that. and especially when your transferring from a SIM

6. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

what I have done with my sidekick is, a year ago I dished out the money for the SYNC program. Sync it with my OUTLOOK, then export as a CSV file. I do this will the calendar as well. Gmail supports the outlook formats for CSV, so it works pretty well.

7. Mrqwebb2

Mrqwebb2 Well-Known Member

I did this already because I have outlook... Only problem is it doesn't save roughly half of the names I had so I had to individually cross check every number saved with it's name from outlook :(

8. Huey Freeman

Yea I have the sidekick sync program as well.. it seems like there really is no good way to do this.. which blows.

I dont understand why tmo cant just zap my contacts to a new phone.. they have them saved on the sidekick server

9. spasg1

spasg1 Member

i have the sidekick aswell, only difference is that i started moving my contacts to gmail 2 weeks ago little by little every now and then when i had time. I did it by logging into mytmobile.com and as you know they have the Desktop Interface. I had that on one window and gmail contacts on another so i copied & pasted all my contacts from the SK DI to gmail. It was a bit of a hassle but starting early payed off =)